It's so good to be home

Fredledingue

For all it's worth XP PRO SP2 is a MAJOR improvement over all previous NT based OS.

It's nowhere near 98 for free-ness and ease but the "clear type" and "gum-drop" buttons are a very nice touch, check MP 11 Beta....It would be nice to see something that works and is more user friendly and obedient, and focused on personal\power home user\private\what I say goes\ as 98 but, hmmm

slap.gif

I agree with all the above, guys. XP is NOT a bad OS (excpet when i'm talking to Link21), it's just that we had to wait 2006 for all the SP's fixes, patches and tweaks that makes XP pallatable.

But, wait... w98SE also has improved a lot since XP has been released...

A fix:

Find your own Doc's folder and right click it.

Send to: Desktop as a shortcut.

It will be right there on your desktop when you want to look into it.

You didn't understand my question.

I often, almost always, open the My Documents folder from Explorer (or Explorer2 when installed).

Then I have two choices:

1/ opening the My Document special tree

2/ opening C: then My Docmuent.

I aften choose option 2/ because it's clearer to me when I need to move things from other places to My Document, for example from a removable drive.

I have also videos in a folder that is outside of My Documents because I was fed up of always opening My Documents to reach this folder. There is also the Windows and the Program File folders where I go regularly.

With Explorer2, it's even more obvious because it's set to open the last accessed folder.

I like to "go up one level" to move to another folder or drive. That's why I like to see the real tree as it is.

And that's why I don't like the Document and Setting structure in XP.

Do you or other computer users have the same behavior?

Is it possible to get rid of the Document and Setting crap in XP and have a C: tree that looks like W98 (admitting there is only one user)?

Edited by Fredledingue

@Fredledingue, i know what you mean, windows 2000 was the same. for some reason they changed it :blink:

under XP/2000 could put a shortcut to the folder, but then it wont show up in the folder tree on the left.

thats about all i can say on this topic.

but back to your original topic, i too had the same feeling just the other day. i was using my armada 1700 and for some reason, everything just went together. i liked it.

One question:

Are you, like me, opening the "My Document" folder via the C: folder tree or via the "My Document" special tree?

I find the "My Document" special tree pretty useless.

Got in in two places (removed from the desktop):

1) Right-Click menu of 'my computer'

2) Through the navigation of C: using the 'my computer' folder in my taskbar.

http://mechresource.myvnc.com/upload/mydoc_areas.png

Do you or other computer users have the same behavior?

Is it possible to get rid of the Document and Setting crap in XP and have a C: tree that looks like W98 (admitting there is only one user)?

Did that to XP long ago before XP SP1... just involved changing all of the 'special folder' paths using tweak UI and and few other path changes in the registry.

Edited by Chozo4

Thanks for thesse info. Chozo.

How did you manage to modify the "My Computer" menu?

Editing the context menu of My Computer can be done under this registry key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D

Edited by eidenk

If so you must create it from scratch there if you want to add extra context menu items that appear only under My Computer.

Indeed, under the key 'shell' you add additional keys to add those menu's.

Here is one to start you off :)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\mystuff]
@="Important Stuff (.mydocs)"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\mystuff\Command]
@="C:\\Windows\\explorer.exe C:\\import~1"

Were it says 'mystuff' you can edit to any key you wish. The order the items show in the nmenu depend on the alphabetical order of your named keys.

You can further customize it through using the layout for the 'find' command on the mycomputer right-click.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\find]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\find\command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Explorer.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\find\ddeexec]
@="[FindFolder(\"%l\", %I)]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\find\ddeexec\application]
@="Folders"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\find\ddeexec\topic]
@="AppProperties"