PE's from RIS screws computer accounts

Whenever I use a PE or boot ERD Commander from RIS to do system maintenance stuff, when I reboot the computer won't login to the domain, I don't change anything in there and it's like the ristndrd.sif file is screwing it. I deleted the lines that tell it to join the domain.

The os's will load fine but when I reboot i get the

"Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the dc is down or otherwise unavailable(which isn't true) or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your sys admin for assistance"

Computer account is still enabled in ADUC but obviously i'm still having problems, i tried an SID changer but didn't help.

thanks for any help and replies

ristndrd.sif.bak.txt

Edited by luke.mccormick

This is a known and documented issue. It occurs because you are using ImageType=Flat and having PE show up in the regular list of images like an installable OS. To fix the problem:

1. Create a Tools folder in your RIS folder structure. It goes at the same level as your Images folder. For example, if your images are stored below \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images then you would create \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools. Your actual PE files can stay below Images; you don't need to move them under Tools, but the Tools folder must exist.

2. Modify your Default Domain Policy GPO to enable the Tools menu. This setting is located under User Configuration, Windows Settings, Remote Installation Services, Choice Options.

3. In your SIF file, change ImageType=Flat to ImageType=WinPE

4. Move the Winbom.ini file from your PE's I386 folder to the root of the image (in other words, move it up one level).

5. Restart the Remote Installation service for it to see these changes.

Now when you boot to RIS, you will find PE in the Maintenance & Troubleshooting menu.

Note that this procedure only works if your RIS server is Windows Server 2003. It does not work with a Windows 2000 RIS server, even if you have all the RIS updates for 2000.

Alright I think i got it to work, thanks. Now how to go about generating a new SID from within PE for the actual client without screwing the image.

Unless u ran: (when creating the syspreped image)

sysprep.exe -nosidgen

the mini setup will auto regenerate a SID for u....