Ultimate Reinstall Disk

TheUni

I am currently working on a disk that makes reinstalling windows for my customers easier. One of the biggest hassles is calling microsoft to activate. Each OEM Vendor seems to have a disk they can use (with 1 generic serial number). For example, if you use a Dell Windows XP cd to reinstall, activation works every time. But if you use a regular WinXP Retail cd, activation fails and you have to call in.

So what i've been doing is just collecting cds where i can find them and integrating them into my powerpacked disk. so far i have dell and gateway. It seems to have something to do with the oembios.* files. And obviously the winnt.sif file which contains the universal serial number (this is why you dont have to type a serial if you're using a manufacturer's disk rather than just a retail).

My question is: Is there an easier way? Avoiding the activation phonecall legally is a big timesaver for me. I'd love to have a disk that lets me reinstall for every major vendor (dell, gateway, hp, compaq, sony, etc). But does that mean i'm going to have to find an original cd from each and pack it the way i have been?

Any thoughts?

Actually I have been digging into this as well. The link discountpc has given is a good link. I haven't had much time to try it yet. Actually the oembios trick is one of the main reasons I wanted to add the Multiple winnt.sif option to the integrator. It helps in the process of making a disk with multiple manufactures files. Once I have the oembios trick down pat I will make it easier to accomplish this trick with powerpacker. Because PowerPacker is made for creating "Universal XP Media"... so this goes with the territory. ;)

Actually I have been digging into this as well. The link discountpc has given is a good link. I haven't had much time to try it yet. Actually the oembios trick is one of the main reasons I wanted to add the Multiple winnt.sif option to the integrator. It helps in the process of making a disk with multiple manufactures files. Once I have the oembios trick down pat I will make it easier to accomplish this trick with powerpacker. Because PowerPacker is made for creating "Universal XP Media"... so this goes with the territory. ;)

Awesome...

I've been knee-deep in that thread for a while now. Seems that the most elegant solution for powerpacker would be to let users simply supply their own oembios.* for each winnt.sif they choose. Am i making this too simple?