XP won't boot after latest security updates

comomolo

Hi,

Latest security update had stopped my XP from booting. I had to go to system restore and go back to the previous state. I allowed it to update again just to make sure there was a problem with the updates and it happened again. So I decided to remove the updates one by one. After removing KB921883 the system booted again, so I did not have to remove any of the rest (8 were installed in total).

I haven't found any relevant information on what causes this problem. The known issues at the MS support page refer only to 32-bit Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. I have XP Professional SP2.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Latest security update had stopped my XP from booting. I had to go to system restore and go back to the previous state. I allowed it to update again just to make sure there was a problem with the updates and it happened again. So I decided to remove the updates one by one. After removing KB921883 the system booted again, so I did not have to remove any of the rest (8 were installed in total).

I haven't found any relevant information on what causes this problem. The known issues at the MS support page refer only to 32-bit Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. I have XP Professional SP2.

Any ideas?

Interesting, that hotfix only changes one file in XP 32-bit.. "netapi32.dll"

"Won't boot" is a bit vague. Where did it stop booting?

And how did you do SR?

It stops booting before I see the Windows logo with the blue progress bar. The screen goes blank and nothing happens.

I have no clue what SR means.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, you mean System Restore, right? Well I started in safe mode and followed Windows help on the subject. Uninstalling that one component alone was done in safe mode too.

Your Server service shouldn't even be running if you're not using your XP as a server...

The server service is running to provide shared printers and folders. I don't want to stop it because every now and then some friends come home with their laptops and I want them to be able to connect to my computer. From what I know, the service has been running always before without any problems.

Edited by comomolo

Your Server service shouldn't even be running if you're not using your XP as a server...

The server service is running to provide shared printers and folders. I don't want to stop it because every now and then some friends come home with their laptops and I want them to be able to connect to my computer. From what I know, the service has been running always before without any problems.

Start it when you need it, stop it after you're done with it.

Well, Server service suppose to be running all the time at Windows NT (2k/XP/2003) its responsible for

Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.