Sun Java Runtime Environment

Shark007

Here is a switch-less Installer of Sun Java Runtime Environment(6). This will also install the plugins for Internet Explorer and Mozilla browsers. Automatic updating is turned off by default. This software also had an issue where upon 1st use it would add its update scheduler to the autorun registry key. This feature is disabled in this release. This installer IS svcpack compatible.

Updated April 01, 2007

(JRE6) Update 1 file information: 9.05 MB - MD5 = 7414d3876be92301a41090a6ff3bb82f

I updated this release 24hrs after the initial posting. Check the MD5 to be sure.

In the initial release I forgot to turn off both the auto update and the tray icon.

(did i mention i was getting old?) sorry to those affected.

THIS RELEASE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.

shark

Edited by Shark007

Your Java Installer looks really nice. Could you tell me, with which switch you start the install? And how did you remove extra.zip and other.zip? Did you edit the .msi file for that? :thumbup

EDIT: Hmm, strange, when I just install it, the automatic update in autostart is not activated (jusched.exe), but when I run the first webpage with Java elements, the autostart entry get created. Any solution? I think you are using JAVAUPDATE=0.

Edited by Dynaletik

salute salute
very nice shark , thx
You're welcome.
Your Java Installer looks really nice. Could you tell me, with which switch you start the install? And how did you remove extra.zip and other.zip? Did you edit the .msi file for that? :thumbup

EDIT: Hmm, strange, when I just install it, the automatic update in autostart is not activated (jusched.exe), but when I run the first webpage with Java elements, the autostart entry get created. Any solution? I think you are using JAVAUPDATE=0.

To find what switches were used with a 7zip installer type from the cmdline:

Find /I "RunProgram=" "jre1508.exe"

Yes, i editted the MSI.

Hmm, strange = i agree. I didnt write the software, so no, i dont have a solution.

shark

Ok, I think I got it now. But it is quite tricky, because there are RegKeys that have to be changed AFTER install! If you integrate them into the .msi file, they will get overwritten, don't know why, but Java does it.

So what I first did was changing some values in the .msi files properties (in InstallShield it is "Property Manager").

AUTOUPDATECHECK was 1, changed to 0
IEXPLORER was 0, changed to 1
JAVAUPDATE was 1, changed to 0
JU was 1, changed to 0
MOZILLA was 0, changed to 1
SYSTRAY was 1, changed to 0
WEBSTARTICON was 1, changed to 0

I know, that you can set every property using an switch, just look what is in your switch and change the rest or add additional switches.

Now the "problem" comes. There are still 2 settings in the registry that cause the AutoUpdate and must be changed. Here they are:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy]
"EnableJavaUpdate"=dword:00000001
"PromptAutoUpdateCheck"=1

So to disable the UpdateCheck that gets created in Autostart at first run of an Java app, I execute the following .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Removes Java Update
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy]
"EnableJavaUpdate"=dword:00000000
"PromptAutoUpdateCheck"=-

Now on the first start of an Java app, there is no Java tray icon vibisible and no Java UpdateChecker in autostart. Only thing is, how to integrate it into the file you made. I would solve it by using an Java.bat that first calls Java Setup with its Switches and then executes the .reg file.

I hope this helps you. :)

Edited by Dynaletik

I'm pretty good at MSI editting but as you already stated, editting the msi with these changes gets you nowhere. upon 1st use, the scheduler gets installed into the autorun. i cant stop it, its written into the executable, not the msi.

shark

But when you integrate the posted .reg file into your registry after install has finished, this should not happen. I tested it some times now and got success. (Before installing I uninstalled and deleted registry entries and Sun Folder in %appdata%).

Edited by Dynaletik

The download link is OFFLINE while i update the file. Bear with me, i'm on dialup, it'll take about an hour.

Thanks to Dynaletik's persistance and information, i've produced an installer that will stop the scheduler from getting placed into the startup group even after 1st use.

shark

Roguespear already has an addon out for Java2 SE Runtime V5.0 Update 8, but that one still asks if you want to enable the service or not the first time a java program is run.

Is there an 'addon' version available for this version, which would not ask the same?

Roguespear's addon --> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=59614#

Edited by Sanjay

I tried to suppress the update checker from creating those reg entries many versions ago and had no success with it. It must somehow be built in. But one would think that when the user explicitly sets the setting as documented by Sun that it would respect the setting. This is one reason why I place Java as only a single step above spyware. You'd think if they were going to make a runtime environment that is so prone to crashing and so slow that they would at least try to not annoy people with silly things like that.

EDIT: If anybody had any ideas on presetting some things like disable SSL2 and enable TLS, I'm all ears.

Edited by RogueSpear