MSI RC410M Problems

ZaForD

Hey guys,

I'm trying to upgrade my daughters PC, [an old eMachine 620] for her birthday.

I bought a new Intel Celeron D 3.06ghz, 512mb of Kingston DDR2, a MSI RC410M mATX motorboard, and an Antec 380w PSU. All parts appear to work fine, until I try to install Windows, where it hangs at the begining of the 'Setup is loading files' screen.

I've used two different Windows OEM disks, two different DVD drives, 2 HDD's 1x IDE 1x SATA, and two different IDE cables 1x 40pin 1x 80pin, on both IDE channels, all hang at the same place.

I even tried the 'Load default settings' in the BIOS, then went through all the BIOS setting following the user guide, but it still didn't make any difference.

I then tried to run a Linux 'Live CD' but that just hung on boot too.

It seems to me that it can't access the HDD, even though it can see it from the BIOS.

Anyone here come across this problem before ?

Have any experience with this motherboard, and its settings ?

Or just got any ideas of what could be happening ?

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Test your RAM with a program called MEMtest. tell us if it gave any errors. other then that, your mobo could be defect.

On the Japanese site it says that the mobo has a 533 bus support:

CPU

・LGA775 1066/800/533MHzデータバス Intel Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron Dプロセッサ

800/600/500/300番台対応

Just joking with that Japanese stuff ;).

@puntoMX,

Not alot of luck there. :(

I downloaded the ISO version of Memtest, on first boot it didn't get as far as printing the commands on the status bar.

Second attempt, the test started but then locked up after a second or so.

Upon rebooting, post Initialized USB controllers, found 24mb [of RAM i guess] and locked up.

Had to clear the CMOS to get it booting again.

p.s. I'm not worried what it says in Japanese, or in English for that matter.

'Cos i don't think the guy in the shop could read either. :lol:

You could try droping the timings on the cpu and memory to see if the install will complete. If it completes then first set the timing of the cpu back to the correct settings and see if everything runs ok then slowly increase the memory timing to see if the boot up fails. If this occurs then I would try different ram to confirm that the ram is defective and then exchange it for a replacement.

@ LLXX and ripken204,

The temps were fine low 30's even while sitting in front of a sunny window. I left the system ruinning at the BIOS H/W monitor page to check to and see if it was locking up with the heat, or after a set time. But it just sat there happily for over 3 hours.

@ Everyone,

Seems everyone was hinting at the RAM, I bit the bullet and bought another 512mb stick today. [generic make] Replaced the Kingston stick, booted up, and Windows installed perfectly.

Thanks for all your help guys. :thumbup

@ Everyone,

Seems everyone was hinting at the RAM, I bit the bullet and bought another 512mb stick today. [generic make] Replaced the Kingston stick, booted up, and Windows installed perfectly.

Thanks for all your help guys. :thumbup

;), I told you that directly, your welcome...