Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Unattended Generator Uti

The Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Unattended Generator Utility provides an easy way to create and edit an unattended answer file for use in installing Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

An unattended answer file supplies all the information that Setup needs to install the operating system using the /unattended switch.

You must install the .NET Framework Redistributable Package version 1.1 or a higher version prior to installing the Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Unattended Generator Utility.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP Download

You can also use Setup wizard itself but the Legacy PCs Unattended Generator Utility is far easier
The Setup wizard records all your responses in an answer file. You can then use the answer file (or make modifications to it) to complete the installation. You must specify the location where the answer file will be stored.

You can use the /guionly command-line switch to record your responses to the Setup wizard anywhere you like, creating an answer file for later use during unattended Setup.

When you use the /guionly switch, you’ll see a Generate all values check box in the last Setup wizard dialog. Check the box to write all supported values to the unattended.xml file.

Notes:

When the /guionly switch is used, Setup.exe does not actually install anything; it only creates the answer file.

An encrypted administrator password is automatically generated.

The answer file created by the /guionly switch should be used as a template. It is recommended you edit the answer file to set any parameters you require. For more information on the elements in the answer file, see Writing an Answer File: Required Elements and Writing an Answer File: Optional Elements.

To ensure the security of your WinFLP system, you should change all passwords after an unattended Setup.

To use the Setup wizard to create an answer file in this way, type the following at the command prompt:

Setup.exe /guionly:\pathname\filename.xml

where pathname is a UNC path to the file, and filename.xml is the name of the answer file you will use for unattended Setup.

Example:

Setup.exe /guionly:A:\unattended.xml

• 3 weeks later...

i just tested it, great great piece of tool, i got the WinFLP INF Importer too, i intergrated the SATA/RAID drivers that i had problems a month ago...at the moment the only problem that i have is the DiskConfig Lines on the Unattended.xml file, i have no idea how to config it so it can ask me what i want to do (in a way, i want it Attended, just for Partioning)

<DiskConfig>
<Disk ID="0" WipeDisk="Yes">
<CreatePartition Size="*" Label="*" Letter="C" FileSystem="NTFS" AllocationUnit="*" QuickFormat="No" FileCompression="No" />
</Disk>
</DiskConfig>

ps, i like the new M$ Strategy...things are moving, fast and BETTER

This utility is good, but the answer file should be there in WinFLP CD itself, otherwise how can one use this on a clean install without a floopy drive.

Whether I can put this file in source CD itself? and is it possible to create WinFLP bootable CD?

Pawan

KinetiK, could you please tell me where you add the unattended.xml file on the CD does setup grab it automatically or does it need to be added from cmd line.

Thanks

its quite simple, but if u read te WinFLP Installation Guide.chm, jokin

all the files that u have to add should be placed in \\Setup\

PreSetup.cmd, Unattended.xml, driverinstall.xml, unattended.reg

when SetupLauncher starts, it searchs 1st for PreSetup.cmd to load it before setup.exe, if it doesnt find it, it starts Normaly :), theres even a PostSetup, to install software silently (i think), its after the Setup finishes

its quite simple

ps, i tryed to intergrate the RAID drivers, they didnt work (the drinverintall.xml whas loaded) i think i have to agree that the driver iosnt comaptible, its just not the same XP :)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to add unattand.xml in the cd itself, but after some time setup comes with en error that it can not find the path for creating the log file. I tried to disable to log file entries but again its shows an error (now a little bit early).

Any idea?

Pawan

nfh3ew.jpg

• 3 months later...

:thumbup

...at the moment the only problem that i have is the DiskConfig Lines on the Unattended.xml file, i have no idea how to config it so it can ask me what i want to do (in a way, i want it Attended, just for Partioning)
I'm not totally sure how it works, but it works for me. At some point it complained about not having a Modify Partition tag, and another time that it was improper - so I'm not sure if <!--ModifyPartition /--> is needed (it's commented out!), haven't tested that yet. I left it in as soon as it made it thru setup. The <DiskConfig> element only allows formatting of the system drive. To get around this limitation, I made a PreSetup.cmd script to run DiskPart and format. Its all in the "\Docs\WinFLP Installation Guide.htm": a good read, though a little vague.

PreSetup.cmd:

@ECHO OFF
ECHO This CD will wipe your computer and reinstall Windows. Everything will be lost.
ECHO You have 20 seconds to answer...
CHOICE /c:YN /t:N,20 Are you sure you want to do this?
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 2 EXIT
CLS
ECHO You have 10 seconds to answer...
CHOICE /c:YN /t:N,10 EVERYTHING will be LOST! Are you TOTALLY sure?
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 2 EXIT
CLS
diskpart /S .\install\diskpart.txt
format C: /fs:NTFS /v:Windows /q /a:512 /c
format D: /fs:NTFS /v:Paging /q /a:64K
format E: /fs:NTFS /v:Stuff /q /a:512 /c
regedit.exe /S .\install\setup.reg
EXIT

diskpart.txt

select disk 0
clean all
create partition primary
assign
active

select disk 1
clean all
create partition extended
create partition logical size=216
assign
create partition logical
assign

Unattended.xml <snip>

<DiskConfig>
<Disk ID="0" WipeDisk="Yes">
<CreatePartition Label="Windows" Size="*" Letter="C" FileSystem="NTFS" AllocationUnit="512" QuickFormat="Yes" FileCompression="Yes" />
<!--ModifyPartition /-->
</Disk>
</DiskConfig>

I'm testing this on a Really old P-233 with 2 small HDDs (815 & 515). It actually runs! And suprisingly smooth to boot!

Now the main problem I'm having is registry settings and hotfixes etc. from <RunOnce>. More on this later... also FileCompression on C: doesn't seem to kick in like it's 'supposed to' - if it's actually supposed to compress the contents on the fly?