Helpers Needed for WUD

jcarle

If you check my thread here, you'll see that WUD 2.0 is now available for download!

WUD loads external update list files (UL files) that contain an XML formatted list of all the updates available.

I'm looking for people that would like to become the official maintainers of UL files for different windows versions, platforms and languages.

I will personally maintain the Windows XP x86 ENU update list. People are needed to maintain the Windows 2000 ULs, Windows 2003 ULs and the Windows XP x64 Edition ULs, to name a few, not to mention the multi-lingual ULs such as Windows XP x86 FRA, and so on and so on.

Obviously, the longest part is creating the original UL. Once the UL is created, maintaining it only requires about 20 mins of time every 2nd tuesday of every month (Patch Tuesday).

Anyone interested?

Edited by jcarle

Are you going to have to update WUD to use the additional UL files?

I thought I'd take a look to see how difficult this would be and if I could do it without screwing it up. I downloaded WUD 2.0 and started playing with the UL file included in it. It seems that you can name the UL file anything you like, but WUD will only work if there's one file in the directory with it.

To get the download link, one way is to use the following method.

Go to the Microsoft Download Center.

Search for the update/file you want. Example, Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883).

Then, with the page displayed, View Source...

Within the source, do a search for window.open.

If you scroll a touch to the right, you'll see the HTTP download URL.

The longest part is getting the first UL made up, so of course your help would be appreciated. Once it's created, it will be easier to find people to keep the CHS UL for WUD up to date. :)

Thank you.

I can make French .ul file ... for Windows XP x86 and Windows 2000 Pro x86.

Would be glad to have it. :) Once you complete it, send it to me via PM and i'll add it to the download package.

Thank you.

Some news :

- Updated french language for Windows XP French,

- New : french language for Windows 2000 Pro French,

- New : french language for Windows 2003 Serveur French.

Some KBs are maybe missing in 2000 & 2003 .ul file ... I will check that later.

Windows XP .ul file should be complete.

windows_2000_pro_x86_fre.zip

windows_2003_serveur_x86_fre.zip

windows_xp_x86_fre.zip

Some news :

- Updated french language for Windows XP French,

- New : french language for Windows 2000 Pro French,

- New : french language for Windows 2003 Serveur French.

Some KBs are maybe missing in 2000 & 2003 .ul file ... I will check that later.

Windows XP .ul file should be complete.

I added to the download package for WUD, will be available later when the server comes back up.

Don't know what tool is used to create/write/modify the ul file.

To create localized version of .ul file, you can download the ENU one, change the extension to .xml and open it with MindFusion's XML Viewer, Freeware XML Editor for editing.

you will have to change: jcarle instructions on post #3

First, the general information about the UL file must placed in the top-level <updatelist> tag.

Before adding the updates, the categories that will be used in the UL file must be declared.

The update items contain all the information on each individual update available.

• title
  • description
  • filename
  • url

i have already 90% of update items infos (title, URL) for Server 2003 ENU (parsed from log files). See thread in HFSLIP pinned topics. maxximum FRA is available as starting point. Not enough time to edit :wacko:

Edited by Bilou_Gateux