Black screen when I install new pci video card, i know pci is old:(

jca2004

I have been using a BFG 5500 OC 256mb until I decided to upgrade to 5700 LE 128m, until I can save up enough money to buy new m/b with pci-e graphics, but until then, when I try to install my new card, it just shows a blank black screen during startup, and, so I uninstalled drivers, and then put card in, doesn't work. Put in another pci slot, and it works, but when I install the nvidia new drivers from ngohq, it tells me to restart ofcourse, well when I do restart, black screen comes up, and the only way for me to use comp, is to plug my monitor in s***ty onboard graphics that came with my s***ty Dell Dimension 3000. I have even popped the **** battery out for a few minutes and popped it back in, and still no help. Is there anything else I can do?

Should I try using regular drivers for my Nvidia card instead of the Optimized NGO graphics driver?

Edited by jca2004

why would you downgrade your video card? 5700LE is older than 5500. Do you still have the 5500? try using that, if your 5500 works, it means your 5700 is busted...or its your dell. And yes, you should use the regular drivers.

Edited by 1337rice

I had a problem similiar to this when installing PCI version of FX 5500 in a dell optiplex gx110. The BIOS had no option to disable on-board. The choices were Auto, or On. I finally gave up and decided to do a clean install of the OS using my own strict installation order. First, flash the BIOS, then delete old/create new partition and format the drive. Install your OS (98se in my case), then the chipset driver. Next I install the latest compatible video card driver (81.98), set the screen resolution/color/refresh/etc and reboot. Then I install the rest of the motherboard drivers (sound, LAN, etc). There is more to it, but I will only go into detail on the video card driver.

What you want to do after a re-install of the OS, and you boot up the first time, is install the standard VGA driver when windows detects your video card. After that, then install your latest compatible nvidia forceware driver for whatever OS you have. You might have to live with seeing a disabled on-board video in your device manager, but if you can live with that, then give it a try.

I also had a similiar problem. The PC would boot up like normally and then when it canme time for the bootscreen to show nothing would show up!

I finally figured out it was a windows problem where it was initializing the onboard video INSTEAD of the PCI video card. What I had to do to fix it was hook up the monitor to the onboard video slot and boot into safe mod and disable the onboard video through windows, then I shut down switched cables and all was right.

That works too, but it might be better to just have the monitor connected to the on-board, even while installing the video driver. Then after driver installs, shut down, then connect monitor to video card, the nboot up. I'm pretty sure thats what I did, since I couldn't disable the on-board in BIOS.