ASMS recompression bug solved...

Camarade_Tux

... but I guess it has been solved in nlite a few releases ago. :)

After some (read *lots*) trials, I found out *.MAN files had to remain uncabbed. That's all.

I think nlite already does that but help text for this option has not been changed yet. :)

That's all. :)

:hello:

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Did not find anything about the man files. Except at ryanvm which I don't visit often.

And I was not aware of that wiki. :)

I was pretty sure it had already been fixed.

I had this error with HFSlip but remembered the warning in nlite. ;)

At least I learnt ASMS files are discovered : it seems windows checks for ASMS, then for a subfolder, another subfolder... until it finds some files which it tries to 'register' with a man file that has to be in the same folder.

I'll delete ASMS and see how windows reacts. :)

While I do appreciate the info nLite only compresses DLL and CAT files but then again in certain situation (xp home sp1 i think) the problem happens.

Since I think that people should upgrade to SP2 anyway I'm reluctant to pursue this issue and it's not that common.

• 6 months later...

Whats the deal with this ASMS folder?

Comrade_Tux - you said you'll delete the ASMS folder and see

how it goes, how did it go?!

You'd get GDIPLUS errors surely?

I don't want anything on my ISO that does not need to be there,

for example this folder:

I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\

Has 2 DLL files that are almost 1Mb each, its a real messy folder this ASMS :(

• 1 year later...

Slipstreamed SP3 RC2 (3311) woes

(sorry to dredge up an ancient thread but this seems to be maybe referring to a different incarnation of the same problem)

I've been experiencing some form of the dreaded "asms" error with an Sp3 disk image that I slipstreamed and chopped in nLite. It consistently gave me the error ""The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD is needed" at the first blue 39minute screen even though the ASMs folder was present (and no, I didn't compress the MAN files ;) )

I tried burning the same image to a couple of different types of CDr since supposedly that matters sometimes but all same. I had flipped on the option in nLite to merge cabs, doesn't seem like that should cause a problem but maybe? I wonder if it could have had something to do with having 4 hard drives installed... anybody else get this problem with SP3? is there something dumb I did wrong?

Since I just wanted to mess around with slipstreamed SP3, I eventually worked around it by pulling out my USB-SATA cable (handy little 8 buck thing from some HK ebay seller by the way) and ('twas fun, left the disk in chassis and power plugged in) copied the cd contents to the disk directly using a laptop, rebooted once more and then pointed the deluge of dialog boxes (it kept asking for more after ASMs) to the c drive until it finally worked.

edit: d'oh! just noticed new beta 1.4.5 with sp3 stuff released today; I should have tested that. oh well, what I ended up with works well enough for me

Edited by grundthal

grundthal, hm. I have not changed anything regarding that, be sure to attach your preset used, could be some update pack issue.

Also make sure to use clean XP installation files, slipstream SP3 and use that.