Microsoft update causes 100% cpu usage

Francesco

But is it broken (technically, not perception)? No. And possibly breaking currently working and shipping 3rd party and Microsoft application installers is not an acceptable solution. It's a no-win situation, but the private is available by contacting Microsoft - it's not like there's no patch, it's just not built and tested currently to the same level as a public hotfix, but if you want it, you can certainly call or email support and ask.

Edited by cluberti

If you clear the MSI files you can't uninstall anything without the installer. **** somebody should report this to MS to have this mess fixed.

It's by design, they're will aware of it. I've even read a detailed explanation on a MSDN blog in the past (sorry no link). I guess MS just found a way to make use of those 500GB HDs! One of the most obvious reasons is that, without the entire install file, it wouldn't be possible to "Change Installation".

Don't get me wrong, I hate the wasted space and while there would be simple shortcut, imho MS screwed that up.

Obviously you could burn the entire folder to a DVDr, but it won't do you any good because Windoze renames the install file, and if the install file isn't found, Windows does ask for a diff location, but sadly, it uses the original install file name, not the new name, so there's no way to know which file it is!!!!! I've been peeking around and I can't find where MS hides this table of old vs new names.

I have had to disable the auto update checker because everytime it checked for updates I had a massive slowdown for 3-4 mins whilst it checked for updates, svchost.exe. It caused a video clip I was watching to go about 5fps on a amd64 3500+.

If I delete all the msi files will it stop the problem and what downside is there just the inability to modify installations?

I solve this issue.

The update Hotfix KB916089 Version 5 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us ) (Msi.dll 3.1.4000.2805) solve the issue. I don't have 100% cpuusage and I still have a GUI when installing programs through a msi-file. The GUI wasn't shown while installing, so that programs which have 2 or more cds fails to install, when I installed other patches who had a never msi.dll than MSI 3.1V2.

I'm so happy :thumbup:wub:

man I missed this post, you a star thanks.

Hmm what the... for some reason they havent made the patch public no link to download.

Edited by Chrysalis

got 916089 installed unfortenatly no improvement, I gave windows update a test run and svchost still hogged cpu for some minutes, but now it was also slowing down the animation bar the entire pc struggling very bad.

Edited by Chrysalis

• 5 months later...

Microsoft Baseline Security app has same problem, its worse now tho, both the app and MS update site take over 20 minutes to scan for updates.

Office update website however is FAST no cpu hog, so for office update there is a different algorithm in place that works.