Microsoft update causes 100% cpu usage

Francesco

Am I the only one that sees SVCHOST.exe cpu usage going to 100% when checking for updates on Microsoft Update website? I'm completely sure that the 100% cpu usage is caused by the automatic updates service because if I terminate that service the cpu usage stops.

I had this problem on all of my computers (5) and I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this forum had this problem too. Does somebody here managed to fix it?

Edited by Francesco

Automatic Updates should only kick in when you visit the Windows Update site manually or at the daily scheduled check time if it's enabled, like 3am.

Why should it be a problem if a single-CPU system hits 100% utilisation during the check?

Or are you saying that it remains constantly at 100% even once the check is complete?

The number of checks the system is doing is quite extensive, so it doesn't surprise me that it's an exhaustive process - I just did a check for updates on a Windows 2003 SP1 dual-CPU system and it (svchost.exe -k netsvcs) hit 50% utilisation, so it's definitely a single thread under the AU service which is "busy" during the check.

Automatic Updates should only kick in when you visit the Windows Update site manually or at the daily scheduled check time if it's enabled, like 3am.

Why should it be a problem if a single-CPU system hits 100% utilisation during the check?

Or are you saying that it remains constantly at 100% even once the check is complete?

The number of checks the system is doing is quite extensive, so it doesn't surprise me that it's an exhaustive process - I just did a check for updates on a Windows 2003 SP1 dual-CPU system and it (svchost.exe -k netsvcs) hit 50% utilisation, so it's definitely a single thread under the AU service which is "busy" during the check.

After the check the cpu usage goes back to normal but the problem is that the check even on fast systems last for at least 3-4 minutes, on a celeron 1000 I have it lasts for 30 minutes!! While it's checking new applications can't be launched and the system is very slow.

Everytime new updates are released automatic updates hangs slow computers for hours because the checks are so long that wu connection goes time out so it has to start from scratch every time. It's really awful.

Tried using Windows Update instead of Microsoft Update?

Go to the regular Windows Update link from within IE, then click "Change Settings" on the left, then tick the box at the bottom on the right to check only for Windows updates, then click the apply button.

Now try an Express check and watch svchost.exe CPU usage - is it reasonable?

Tried using Windows Update instead of Microsoft Update?

Go to the regular Windows Update link from within IE, then click "Change Settings" on the left, then tick the box at the bottom on the right to check only for Windows updates, then click the apply button.

Now try an Express check and watch svchost.exe CPU usage - is it reasonable?

I can't leave automatic updates turned off and I also need microsoft update because it updates automatically office (and there are worms spreading through .ppt and .doc files).

it worked for me :thumbup no more high cpu/mem usage at startup

it worked for me :thumbup no more high cpu/mem usage at startup

Yes but you lose office updates and as you may know there are a lot of critical exploits coming out for office files. If you use outlook 2003 as a email client you can't keep automatic updates turned off.

I also have this problem, when using MicrosoftUpdate. I figured out, that this happens if you have a lot of msi-files in the folder %Windir%\Installer. MSUpdate opens several files in this folder to check something, but I don't have any idea what the updater checks in this folder.

I also have this problem, when using MicrosoftUpdate. I figured out, that this happens if you have a lot of msi-files in the folder %Windir%\Installer. MSUpdate opens several files in this folder to check something, but I don't have any idea what the updater checks in this folder.

It checks for external applications, for example office and windows desktop search. **** I wish there was a way to fix this mess I don't want to update office by hand every time.

very interesting I was about to post about this problem.

I have auto updates disabled but when updating I get the same problem, it pauses for a while on 100% cpu usage and process explorer (sysinternals) shows its the svchost.exe for auto updates using the cpu. When it downloads the files its normal but then their is another 100%/delay before each update is installed. My pc is a amd64. On a amd 900 and p3 500 its much worse taking about 10-20 minutes.

I have auto updates disabled but when updating I get the same problem...
Whether you visit Microsoft Update/Windows Update manually or the system does its automatic check, the code being executed is common (otherwise it would be a duplication and 2 sets of code to maintain & patch).

The current workarounds are to switch from Microsoft Update (back) to Windows Update, or to move the .MSI files out of the %systemroot%\Installer folder.*

Edit:

* If uninstalling an application requires the MSI file you can either return it to this folder or point to the new location.

Edited by Mr Snrub

I have auto updates disabled but when updating I get the same problem...
Whether you visit Microsoft Update/Windows Update manually or the system does its automatic check, the code being executed is common (otherwise it would be a duplication and 2 sets of code to maintain & patch).

The current workarounds are to switch from Microsoft Update (back) to Windows Update, or to clear the .MSI files in the %systemroot%\Installer folder.

If you clear the MSI files you can't uninstall anything without the installer. **** somebody should report this to MS to have this mess fixed.

I switched back to WindowsUpdate und searched for Office-Hotfixes seperately. This is a **** stupid bug.

With the latest office 0day exploits you can get infected by worms just by opening a word file this is why downloading all the office hotfixes by hand is not a good idea.

Edited by Francesco