WPI 5.4 wishlist

@Francesco: your idea has some merit, but not really necessary. If anything, get an actual of the number of command calls in all the configs (this one has 1, that one has 3, that has 2, etc....) and base it on that. Number of completed commands, not just number of completed entries. 6 of 1, half a dozen of another.......

Calculating it on the number of commands instead of the command file sizes for each item is the same for me it's still an improvement. Also getting the size of the command sometimes it's inaccurate, for example if you use msiexec to launch an installer. The code however will be pratically the same: instead of summing the size of each file of the commands you just have to sum 1 for each command.

Look in the changelog that is supplied with the WPI download it has been done you just need to save different configs and call them.

Hi,

It would be interesting to save selections as profiles seperated from the config.

So you have the possibility to maintain your one config independent from profiles you like to install.

You could prepare different profiles for the same config and install them unattended by calling them through the command line.

Thats my wish for WPI 5.4

Edited by nicw19

Look in the changelog that is supplied with the WPI download it has been done you just need to save different configs and call them.

Hi,

It would be interesting to save selections as profiles seperated from the config.

So you have the possibility to maintain your one config independent from profiles you like to install.

You could prepare different profiles for the same config and install them unattended by calling them through the command line.

What would the sense of that be? You can already create as much profiles as you want and install them from the command line.

Hi,

What would the sense of that be? You can already create as much profiles as you want and install them from the command line.

Configuration and Profile is not the same to me. It's possible to save different config-files I know, but that's not what I intend to do.

If you have many computers to install it's not handy to have for each another config with different applications. When you want to add an application to each computers installation you have to update a lot of configurations. :(

It would be much easier to have one configuration and based on it many profiles, which contain the selection of applications. So you would have only to maintian the one configuration and also only one to update.

To update the profile you only would have to check the new available applications in the main screen and save it, that's it.

Profile is for me some kind like the default switch in the configuration with the difference, that the profile results out of the selected applications in main screen.

Configuration and Profile is not the same to me. It's possible to save different config-files I know, but that's not what I intend to do.

If you have many computers to install it's not handy to have for each another config with different applications. When you want to add an application to each computers installation you have to update a lot of configurations. :(

It would be much easier to have one configuration and based on it many profiles, which contain the selection of applications. So you would have only to maintian the one configuration and also only one to update.

To update the profile you only would have to check the new available applications in the main screen and save it, that's it.

Profile is for me some kind like the default switch in the configuration with the difference, that the profile results out of the selected applications in main screen.

I think you didn't look at WPI well: there are profiles and the profiles are ONLY used to automatically select the default switches of the items. However they aren't saved as you want: you have to edit the configuration and specify for each item the profiles where it should be selected by default.

Hope I have not missed this answered before....

Any i deas about VISTA compatibility???? yet Kell

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think there would really be any compatibility issues. I mean its just html and javascript. The only thing that might be different are the locations of registry entries and the system file for finding the dospath. I haven't really dissected Vista yet, though, so I don't know.

@nicw19: The profiles you are referring to are called Configurations in WPI. What you do is go to Options -> Installer -> List of configurations choices. Enter as many profile names as wanted: Work,Home,School,Mark,Anna. Then in Config -> Configurations for each item you assign what Configuration(s) it belongs to. It can be 1 or all, just pick them from the drop down menu.

Back in the main window under "Selections" pick a config and it will check only the ones assigned to it, unchecking all the others. Or in command line

wpi.hta check=Mark

That is how you make one master config with multiple profiles. This will be in the new manual I am writing for 5.4.

@nicw19: The profiles you are referring to are called Configurations in WPI. What you do is go to Options -> Installer -> List of configurations choices. Enter as many profile names as wanted: Work,Home,School,Mark,Anna. Then in Config -> Configurations for each item you assign what Configuration(s) it belongs to. It can be 1 or all, just pick them from the drop down menu.

Back in the main window under "Selections" pick a config and it will check only the ones assigned to it, unchecking all the others. Or in command line

wpi.hta check=Mark

That is how you make one master config with multiple profiles. This will be in the new manual I am writing for 5.4.

The items that doesn't have the active configuration assigned should be hidden.

If you have an item 'Firefox' only assigned to configurations Mark and Anna, the item 'Firefox' should not be visible in the list when you choose the configuration Home.

Then you can equal profiles with configurations.

wpi.hta check=Mark

The items that doesn't have the active configuration assigned should be hidden.

If you have an item 'Firefox' only assigned to configurations Mark and Anna, the item 'Firefox' should not be visible in the list when you choose the configuration Home.

Then you can equal profiles with configurations.

You can create different config files to keep applications separed what you are asking is a real mess to implement (and surely it will require more than a Save button to get it working)

@ Solid as a rock: I already have got my Install folder out of WPI. I use it since I use WPI and in the beginning, the Install folder wasn't in WPI folder, so @ root I got "Install\Programs", "Install\Drivers" and "Install\WPI". So WPI is in the last, and programs and drivers in the other folders. The install cmd and reg lines look like this:

cmd1[pn]=['%cdrom%\\Install\\Drivers\\ITouch\\setup.exe -s -f2"%temp%\\ITouch.log"'];

It didnt work for me. When installing it is pointed at :\WPI instead of :\Install

i have use this from you:

cmdow.exe @ /HID

@ECHO OFF

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i:

set WPIPATH=%CDROM%\Install\WPI\

for /F "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%WPIPATH%") DO %%i:

cd "%WPIPATH%"

start WPI.hta

Let me be clear, i have :\WPI and :\Install and :\$OEM$ that is it.

I dont know if this is also a part of the problem but i have maked cmd in each subfolder. So i can give a folder to someone and let install it. When using full paths it will give problems if the person dont have the same folders as i do. So the cmd is looking this:

START "Adobe Reader 7" /wait "AdbeRdr708_nl_NL.exe" /S /V"/QN"

XCOPY /Y MSCOMCTL.OCX "%systemroot%\system32"

REGEDIT /S "%systemroot%\system32\mscomctl.ocx"

START "Adobe Reader Speedup" /wait "ar-speedup\Reader Speedup.exe"

WPI only have the paths to the %anyprograms%.cmd and so i can much easier edit some information because the cmd and the program are in the same folder.

is your WPI.cmd the problem or is my (too) simple batchfile the problem?

how about hot keys ? without buttons.

i like one for turn on <show extra buttons> , when run from hdd and is off this switch

refreshing WPI interface, restarting the timer. (instead edit manually useroptions.js)

or maybe just turn on the switch temporary , without write this in the file useroptions.js

next WPI boot starting with saved switch off.

and other , when run from any media the WPI interface,

to open in notepad.exe the last <WPI_Log.txt>,

stoping the timer.

Yo,

Assuming it's true that WPI in effect performs a START /WAIT on each command line, (it would have to wouldn't it?) -- anyway, what about if you want to perform a command, eg a taskkill command, in the middle of the install?

ie if you get a screen asking you if you want to reboot even though you're using the silent switch, if you could run a taskkill command that shuts down all process image names that end in .tmp (which is what a MSG box extension always is) then you could do automatically kill it without resorting to AutoIT trickery.

Couldn't you easily add a yes/no option that turns off the /WAIT, but adds a configurable delay before starting the next program? Does WPI have a function or system for command-line configurable delays during runtime? It should, and there's heaps of little apps that will do the job. I use WAIT.EXE for all my delays, but I can't remember where I got it from. I can check if you want.

Or is there another way to do this ...

Yo,

Assuming it's true that WPI in effect performs a START /WAIT on each command line, (it would have to wouldn't it?) -- anyway, what about if you want to perform a command, eg a taskkill command, in the middle of the install?

ie if you get a screen asking you if you want to reboot even though you're using the silent switch, if you could run a taskkill command that shuts down all process image names that end in .tmp (which is what a MSG box extension always is) then you could do automatically kill it without resorting to AutoIT trickery.

Couldn't you easily add a yes/no option that turns off the /WAIT, but adds a configurable delay before starting the next program? Does WPI have a function or system for command-line configurable delays during runtime? It should, and there's heaps of little apps that will do the job. I use WAIT.EXE for all my delays, but I can't remember where I got it from. I can check if you want.

Or is there another way to do this ...

Just invoke the application you don't want WPI to wait for with another start command.

@sporific this could be done. There is already a built-in pause function, but it cannot be called as a command. Adding it as a command would not be difficult, and combined with a start command like @Francesco said you could have a timed wait execution.

However, this is not the best way to approach the situation. An AutoIt script to close the message box would be the best solution. The script would only be like 3 lines.