Windows x64 NLite Install Missing Quick Launch Bar

Day 1

Windows x64 NLite Install Missing Quick Launch Bar

This is a interesting one. I did a NLite install last night for Windows x64. It seemed to go well. I actually did not take out or add much... just a few things. In the end it was bigger than normal install cause I added the Yukon ethernet driver. (I usually scrap a ton of stuff for most installs but was having a seperate issue than this and wanted to see if it reappeared with a non-aggresive full install.)

To make a long story short my quicklaunch bar did not come up... and when i enable it..... and than 'apply' or 'ok' it closes normally and fails to add the quick launch bar. When I return to add quick launch bar menu it again is unchecked.... so I did search found a little note to add these. I did and got bupkis.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/QLError.htm

REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL

REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL

I'm at my wits end... well not really. I'm not even mildly annoyed just curious. Any wiz kids want a crack at it?

Hmm just dawned on me those imply 32 not 64 reg files... maybe i'll try them 64 style.

REGSVR64 /i SHELL64.DLL

REGSVR64 /i BROWSEUI.DLL

Day 2

Set to classic view all over

Removed search & docs from start menu.

Added x64 version to bottom right of screen.

Did select disable group. Disable hide inactive.

I'll reinstall same disk in a couple hours see if it's the same. just wondering if anyone else ran into it.

Ya i usually remove something in the order of 110 MBs but I’m having a stutter issue in games now and I’m trying to track it down so i did full install. BTW I’d love to see your list of disabled services... Now that BlackVipers site is down and cause he ever did one for x64.

It showed a negative content remove on install since i added the Yukon driver like displayed "(-.17)" or something like that

Day 3

Did a minimal install and tried to axe all usless crap. It was late I missed a few things I went to sleep and woke uptooo. Quick Launch Bar was back!!!!!

Day 4

Did a new minimal Install trying to find this bug again and i found it!!! I used previous install load and changed a few settings and did a full install. QUICK LAUNCH BAR IS MISSING AND CAN NOT BE ADDED!!!

Okay I have both saved Nlite presets.. The one with the bar and without it. But i changed like 10-15 settings. But i Don't even know where to start to find out which selection is axen' out the quick launch bar. Without doing 15 installs i'd like to find the guilty party. Any hints.. I did a search but everyone is talking about some Mozilla quick launch thing.

Edited by shortbean

• 1 month later...

I would certainly like to find out this answer too. I ran into the same problem. Used nLite to custom remove items from the installation of X64 edition. I have done this with Windows XP 32 bit edition with no problems. But for some reason I have tried twice now and when the install is complete, I notice I have no show desktop item and can not click to add quick launch toolbar. Get the error, Cannot Create Toolbar. I havent tried the fixes around it yet to get back to the toolbar but I would really like to like item I had set to remove when running nLite. Appreciate any help on this please. Thank you.

I am thinking there is some bug in using nLite to custom installing Windows XP 64 bit edition. I can not see that I would of choose to remove an item that would take this Quick Launch out. Doesnt make sense. When I dont use nLite and did the full install it had the quick launch available. Some out there must know this answer. Who has been able to use nLite successfully with 64 bit edition and have the quick launch bar available?

I've been using nLite for a long time, but last night i tried nLite out on XP x64 and to my surprise i ran into the same problem, with the same error "Cannot Create Toolbar." when attempting to add quicklaunch toolbar.

First thing you notice is that "%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" is missing, to fix it just type this command from run IE4UINIT.EXE , that alone should create the missing quick launch folder.

If you removed any IE shortcuts, you still may not see Quick Launch appearing, as when i re-enabled it using that command the only shortcut in there was IE's, so after using the command to restore the quicklaunch folder, make sure you have something actually in there so your quicklaunch bar appears, otherwise it'll be invisible to the naked eye unless you unlock your taskbar. :P

In the first place i really should be thanking the first poster for providing that link (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/QLError.htm) i found all the answers there, it just seems like you skipped the first portion and tried the other methods, unless the first method didn't work for you in the first place, in that case then there should be similar commands as to those provided but x64 versions, Did you guys try the first command provided?

Thanks alot for that link, and for everyones posts for that matter, otherwise i would still be standed. :no:

There is also an MS Article explaining everything @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;240133

Edited by xSlikx

put some shortcuts into this folder..

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

-create the folders if they dont exist -replace username with the user you are using..

then right click the taskbar, toolbars, quicklaunch

• 3 weeks later...