How much larger is a 19" monitor vs. 17"

jftuga

Is a 19" monitor really 25% larger than a 17" monitor?

If the monitor is measured diagonally and has a 4x3 aspect ratio, then the dimensions for a 19" monitor are 15.2x11.4x19 and for a 17" are 13.6x10.2x17. For example, 15.2^2 + 11.4^2 = 19.0^2

To figure out the difference between the 2 sizes, I did (15.2*11.4) / (13.6*10.2) = 1.2491 which is ~ 25%.

Are these calculations correct?

-John

Viewing area is really what I meant. I am just so surprised that 2" gives 25% more. Before doing the numbers, I would have guessed about 10 - 15%.

ok

there should be a viewable number

i got both

17 and a 19 "

monitos

they are 16.1 n 18.1 " viewable

thats the key number to look at

Do you have CRTs or LCDs?

-John

Edited by jftuga

IMHO 19" LCDs are not better than 17" ones, since they both use 1280x1024 resolution - the pixels are just bigger on the 19". However, 19" CRTs can usually handle 1600x1200 so there is an increase in resolution.

to the qus do i have LCD or CRT

i got both

i got here

17 & 19 " CRT and a 15"( i think) LCD

i use only the 19 and the 15" monitor

i like LCD for when you are sitting there doing stuff for 3 or 4 hrs

but CRT are good when you gotta do stuff that need big desktop / work area

and still use the CRT for game play

I've got two 21" CRTs and a 19" CRT at home. I had a problem with the 19" and had to switch to a backup 17" for a while. It was so painful.

At work I have a 19" LCD which was an upgrade from a 17" LCD. I think I liked the 17" LCD better then the 19".

I had a problem with the 19" and had to switch to a backup 17" for a while. It was so painful.

Tell me about it! I was at a lan party last night and my car broke down so I had to leave behind my 21" CRT monitor and install at home a spare 17" CRT... Gosh, did my eyes hurt!!!! :realmad:

19" DELL LCD at work, 17" Sony CRT at home,

I hate the DELL! only fairly good in native resolution (1280 X1024) and text still dosen't look right.

My father bought a dell computer for his office. The first time I saw it, I thought I had again some problem at my eye. Then I realized the upper-left corner was far less bright than the rest of the screen. Impossible to escape...

For your text problem, you may try to disable ClearType. It seems weird but it makes everything much more readable. In fact, it's only eye-candy.

I used it during some time and a friend of mine asked me why all the letters were blurry. I deactivated it and realized letters appeared as letters, readable letters...

Also, 17" TFT screens are ok. It's not a problem at all.

But 19" is just bigger. However it's a pity many of them are only 1280x1024. :}