Router thoughts

are you a gamer? if so, I'm a huge fan of the D-Link DGL4300. Otherwise, I'd go with a Linksys WRT54G (WRT54GL if you're into using modified firmware). No sense in getting Wireless B devices anymore since G is faster, and nearly as inexpensive

Edit: saw you were only looking at wired routers. Why so?

Edited by rendrag

I've always had good experiences with Linksys routers but in all honesty it probably makes no difference. If you were looking for a router with wireless capabilities, I'd suggest you do a bit of research to find what is most appropriate for your needs. Here's a couple of handy links in case you'd like to read some reviews or technical articles:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

http://www.tomsnetworking.com

Thanks guys for your help.

@rendrag The house I live in has got 3-feet thick walls made of solid stone ---> problems with the signal :realmad:

Unfortunately, I can't find Linksys anymore as the pc shop I have discount at ran out of them (I really think they only had 1 piece) so I'll be going for D-link. Will let you know how pleased I am with it tomorrow when I get the chance to go and get it. Once again, thanks guys.

Side note: if you wanted to go wireless, you could try dropping the speed to gain better connectivity through the walls.

The latest WiFi chipsets have longer range at slower speeds because they actually have quite a bit of processing power and by dropping the speed more processing power is available to help resolve the signal. Think about the difference between 54 and 1 mbps in terms of available processing power. And since the broadband signal you are trying to use is generally less than 1mbps, there isn't much reason to ask the AP for more unless you are trying to game over it.

Also try using the lower WiFi channels. Lower wavelengths have a better shot at making it through walls since more energy is going forward horizontally instead of vertically. In the case of WiFi, the channels are so close together that it doesn't matter terribly much. But every little bit helps!

I've used these tactics in what amounted to Korean War-era hardened shelters and they helped me get connectivity in that very challenging environment.

Special thanks to Bob Cringely for teaching me some of this stuff.