Have u made any big mistake?

playsafe

Share your biggest mistake  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have u made any big mistake? What is the worst mistake u made related to computers?

• I have done it. Share it.
    • No way, I cant make such mistakes.
    • Other..

Well, I have done a very serious mistake couple of days ago.

In a system already working, i put second disk and cut paste data onto the second disk from system's original disk.

On original system disk i removed all the partitions and tried to format during installation of XP, but every time at the completion of format, it gave disk error.

So, all data was on second disk. At that time i had to prepare a system for one user. I put the same disk containing data into another system and repartiotioned and formatted the drive to make a clean installation. Now all my data is lost.

This is something I wanted to share, but also to seek if somebody can help.

Funny how you would be asking about this. I royally screwed up this weekend.

I've been working on unattended Vista installs. A little tidbit, Vista will automatically look for the unattended XML file on any removable media. I had been writing an XML and testing it in VMWare at work. For safe keeping I kept a backup copy on my USB drive.

My home system had 2 partitions, one for my OS and one for my data. Late Saturday night I decided to install Vista. So, I booted up the DVD and totally forgot that I still had the USB drive plugged in. Off I go to the kitchen to get some food thinking that when I get back the installer would be sitting there waiting for me to enter the CD key.

WRONG! :o

I came back to find it copying files onto the freshly repartitioned drive. :blink:

Sure enough, lost everthing. Including all the work I've done over the years with unattended Windows and app installs. :blushing::angry::realmad:

Funny how you would be asking about this. I royally screwed up this weekend.

I've been working on unattended Vista installs. A little tidbit, Vista will automatically look for the unattended XML file on any removable media. I had been writing an XML and testing it in VMWare at work. For safe keeping I kept a backup copy on my USB drive.

My home system had 2 partitions, one for my OS and one for my data. Late Saturday night I decided to install Vista. So, I booted up the DVD and totally forgot that I still had the USB drive plugged in. Off I go to the kitchen to get some food thinking that when I get back the installer would be sitting there waiting for me to enter the CD key.

WRONG! :o

I came back to find it copying files onto the freshly repartitioned drive. :blink:

Sure enough, lost everthing. Including all the work I've done over the years with unattended Windows and app installs. :blushing::angry::realmad:

Dear oh dear!

I made quite a few mistakes in the past, but I'd rather keep them for myself... <blush>

Edited by nitroshift

As files are copied over, so I think now any Data recovery software will be unable to recover it for u?

Well I have tried Hiren's Data Recovery CD. It showed me the exact data i lost, also I re-partitioned it whenwent through that horrible mistake.

It had recovered the partition this evening with no data in it. Tommorow i will try to recover the data in the recovered partition. I hope it works this way, I am not sure, wether recovering partition should recover data as well or it has to be the next step.

Dear oh dear!

I made quite a few mistakes in the past, but I'd rather keep them for myself... <blush>

Come on, u should share it with us. I made this huge mistake with moving data to second disk and then to repartition both drives after I read an article on Ten Most Common Mistakes at TechRepublic a week ago. I would like to hear a worst one from you.

humm worst ever eh... I was installing a video card in my old computer at the house, and forgot to unplug it - I was being lazy and not totally unhooking it, but naturally I unplug it when I do that... usually... hey it's on old POS :angel .. I accidentally kneed the case (it's an old HP) which caused the system to power up. And while that's not very good, it gets worse, I was also on the cell with my buddy, (at this point I should explain that I was laying under my desk, too lazy to completely disconnect the system :whistle: and was holding the phone with my shoulder, while trying to cram my head and the card under the case to see the slot in the riser card) and when the system kicked I up jumped a little... and my cell antenna got eaten by the CPU fan and I lost a computer and a phone in the same stupid mistake... :blushing::thumbup:ph34r:

humm worst ever eh... I was installing a video card in my old computer at the house, and forgot to unplug it - I was being lazy and not totally unhooking it, but naturally I unplug it when I do that... usually... hey it's on old POS :angel .. I accidentally kneed the case (it's an old HP) which caused the system to power up. And while that's not very good, it gets worse, I was also on the cell with my buddy, (at this point I should explain that I was laying under my desk, too lazy to completely disconnect the system :whistle: and was holding the phone with my shoulder, while trying to cram my head and the card under the case to see the slot in the riser card) and when the system kicked I up jumped a little... and my cell antenna got eaten by the CPU fan and I lost a computer and a phone in the same stupid mistake...

hah :o , it seems to be quite costly.

i think the worst thing i did was messing around with an mp3 player. i was desoldering a bunch of stuff off the board because i was bored and when i plugged it into my laptop, blew something up. now that laptop doesn't power up :lol: oh well, parts computer :P

So i was getting ready to reinstall 2003 on my server and I decided to just download my music and software to various other computer hard drives, all is well until I start to reinstall 2003, my hard drive partitioning crap wasn't working like I wanted it to so I switched my os drive with one of those various other computer hard drives and didn't realize it but i wiped the drive with all my software on it and I was so angry. I lost 10 gigs of software in 2 seconds including all the software I needed for the server, office, service packs and hotfixes, client software...argh and i have most of what i need back so as i need the rest i'll keep searching for and downloading it.

Me too buddy, me too, so I got a divorce and now I'm happy with another girl, competely new experience :D

I'm on my way to join you N1K... B)

Anyway, back to the mistakes. I had a pc back for warranty and playing here and there I put the PSU switch from 220V to 115V. The moment I plugged the cable in the mains was the most expensive second of my entire life :blushing: 550 euro's (~ 690 USD). Just imagine how many beers I could have bought for that money :realmad:

Edited by nitroshift

I'm on my way to join you N1K... B)

Anyway, back to the mistakes. I had a pc back for warranty and playing here and there I put the PSU switch from 220V to 115V. The moment I plugged the cable in the mains was the most expensive second of my entire life :blushing: 550 euro's (~ 690 USD). Just imagine how many beers I could have bought for that money :realmad:

LOL, we should celebrate and get drunk then :angel