Have u made any big mistake?

playsafe

Share your biggest mistake  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have u made any big mistake? What is the worst mistake u made related to computers?

• I have done it. Share it.
    • No way, I cant make such mistakes.
    • Other..

hehe nice

Regarding partitions I made the Unattended cd with Autopartition command...booted it on my main rig...you can figure out the rest :)

Good thing that some recovery software undelete function worked but I'll never forget the horror ;)

In my Office, One of the Printer HP LaserJet 4050TN was not picking up the papers, that was not big deal. Just for ease(so i can check it when time permits) i moved the printer to my room. I put a power cable straight from wall to the printer. Turned it on and off some 5 times while checking. On sixth attempt :huh: some smoke came out and i remembered it takes 110VA input, whereas i was giving it 220. I forgot to take the adapter with the printer to my room :blushing: .

In my Office, One of the Printer HP LaserJet 4050TN was not picking up the papers, that was not big deal. Just for ease(so i can check it when time permits) i moved the printer to my room. I put a power cable straight from wall to the printer. Turned it on and off some 5 times while checking. On sixth attempt :huh: some smoke came out and i remembered it takes 110VA input, whereas i was giving it 220. I forgot to take the adapter with the printer to my room :blushing: .

Welcome to the club! :lol::hello:

LOL, we should celebrate and get drunk then :angel

Anytime!

Another one, this one was from my colleague. He works at one of our mill's site office. He was keeping backed up data on same hard disk. Earlier this week, system gave an I/O disk error.

He thought his job was almost gone with the blunder that took place. But next day from a repair shop data was recovered rather differently.

I was told that on repair shop, the person took out the platters of hard disk and put it with another disk board to do the recovery. I dont know if this is true or even possible.

Anyone knows about it.

EDIT:

abt my first post in this poll, i recovered that 35GB data with almost nothing lost. and this was possible by

1. PC Inspector File Recovery

2. Drive Rescue

3. Handy Recovery

I got links for it from Hiren's Page http://www.hiren.info/harddisk/data-recovery6.html, it very well explains the basics of data recovery and some links to other good freeware softwares. But really for me these 3 softwares did a grt job. Specially Handy Recovery.

Edited by playsafe

Yes... just now. I'm making an installer for WUD, and in the uninstall section of the script, I had removed the example script's location for the uninstall information, but forgotten to add in the location for WUD... so the script was removing the following key...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

:blink::unsure::wacko:

Where's that damned System Restore...

Yes... just now. I'm making an installer for WUD, and in the uninstall section of the script, I had removed the example script's location for the uninstall information, but forgotten to add in the location for WUD... so the script was removing the following key...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

:blink::unsure::wacko:

Where's that damned System Restore...

Way to go!!! :lol:

Yeah... it was one of those "Do-it-once-and-never-again" mistakes... And also another reason to test these things out in VMware... :P

Well, cant say that u would not do it again, some similar mistake may be on its way.

Abt VMWare, it is great. It allows us to make all these mistakes and dont worry abt them. It has made my life hell a lot easier B)

• 1 month later...

This is embarrassing, so don't read it :blushing:

The OS was Win 95 :lol:

I was a nOOb :ph34r:

Started having problems with the OS one day (imagine that) and i spent weeks, on and off, trying to figure out the cause. I used to drink... a LOT. So i'm plugging away one evening, drinking sufficient quantities of beer, and this is REALLY getting the very best of me! Finally the string between normal and ninja death assign broke and i RIPPED that sucker off the desk, jerking most of the cables out, SLAMMED it on the floor and started JUMPING on it. Evidentially i decided it wasn't dead yet, so i HURLED it down the stairs at terminal velocity x 2.

Me: 1 - PC: 0

Made a really funny noise when i tried to plug it in the next day :)

• 3 weeks later...