ubuntu and mp3s

prx984

does any know how to explain in plain english how to get mp3's to play in ubuntu 5.10? im having so much trouble with this. iv decided to totally switch to linux (cold turkey method i guess :lol: ) and just use it on my desktop for a while. all i want my desktop to do is synchrinize my iPod and play mp3's and aac files. i just want it as a multimedia hub i guess.

anyone know how to do this fairly easily? i wont respond to this anytime tonight as im going to bed in about 5 minutes, but id like to know if anyone knows how to do this.

thanks for reading guys, i feel like such a nub here :blushing::lol:

Ubuntu made an extra package with multimedia support such as mp3 decoding, I think it's ont their wiki page. You should be better of with suse 10.1, it comes multiple best linux players such amarok. Mplayer is the best, pure shell power.

i tried to install it, but nothing worked. i installed Kubuntu back on, but this one cant play mp3's either, nor can it mount my external USB HDD because its ntfs. im so irritated with this stuff. also, commands missing and stuff, im just tired of it. ill play around a lil more today, but im at my wits end. im more than likely going to go back to windows xp. its just so much easier to use.

thanks for the reply kamil.

You could try something like easy ubuntu.

Also, there are some NTFS drivers (new kernel module, captive ntfs, etc...)

Mind you, you'll likely still have problems. Things like players not playing mp3s over smb (at least XMMS didn't without a patch last I've tried). As for your DRM'ed AAC files, you're SOL.

Personally, I find there are lots of very good uses for linux (and BSD/Solaris - things like *cheap* hosting, Asterix, DB servers, cheap NAT/FW, on some embedded devices, etc), but as a desktop OS on my primary PC? Not a chance.

None of the apps I use (or make) run on it (although I could always try Mono). WINE is hardly a solution. I'm not about to give up VS2005 (C# is great, .NET FW 2 is amazing, and I have yet to see anything coming even close to asp.net) and tons of related coding apps, or photoshop (and camera RAW software and plugins and all), all kinds of apps that seemingly have no alternatives (things like yearly tax income apps, kids' educative games, etc), and even throwing away all my hardware that isn't supported (costing me hundreds to replace), etc. And thankfully I'm no gamer (that would only make the problem worse - unless you're a tux racer addict i guess).

I've tried various distros many times, but so far none has even come close to replacing windows for me, and likely it never will...

i got mp3's playing under linux. i dont have any DRM AAC files. i just need an AAC decoder for XMMS, i finally figured out how to install it o_O

im burning Ubuntu 6.06 to a cd right now. ill install that and see if i can get it to install the faad2 package (it said it couldn't find it when i tried to install it the way they say too.)

ill post back with any updates. thanks for the reply crahak

i got mp3's playing under linux. i dont have any DRM AAC files. i just need an AAC decoder for XMMS, i finally figured out how to install it o_O

im burning Ubuntu 6.06 to a cd right now. ill install that and see if i can get it to install the faad2 package (it said it couldn't find it when i tried to install it the way they say too.)

ill post back with any updates. thanks for the reply crahak

You have to enable more repositories, Universe and Multiverse, then you can install gstreamer-ugly or somesuch, that will enable you to play mp3s with any player using gstreamer :) (Rhythmbox, etc). Do read the documentation/Forum guides first, before you install :) Everything you want to know is there. And one thing, NEVER EVER ENABLE THE ROOT ACCOUNT. You don't need to whatever some guides say. "sudo" is better, and is what Ubuntu is supposed to use.

www.ubuntuforums.org

wiki.ubuntu.com

Enabling repositories is easy (check the options in synaptic).

Or just use easy ubuntu. It'll take care of that for you, as well as install codecs, video drivers, DVD support (libdvdcss), install java, apps to handle various archive formats, etc. All that, without having to think or know what you're doing.

That finally leaves you with some time to setup the other stuff, instead of the same old repetitive and unecessary steps to get basic functionality that's not there out of the box.

Works for me at least. You say you got no clue where to begin (if that's true, then you're STILL doing better than I am), well, could be an option for you too ;)

BTW, there's an IRC chan for ubuntu on freenode and also tons of wikis...

Edited by crahak

:w00t: got it! i can now play aac, mp3's and a few other formats, all i did was use the synaptic package manager and searched for gstreamer. installed all the packages i thought i would need and now its working. WOO! lol yay now im a linux convertee, now if i could just run it on my laptop <_< lol

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even get Ubuntu or Kubuntu to boot on my PC. After I choose any option on the disc it just hangs at a flashing cursor. :blink: I've asked on their forums and a few other places, the only suggestion was to re-burn the disc slowly, but I did it at 1x and it works on my laptop.

sounds like an incompatibility with your computer. your best bet may be to wait until a newer version is released. either that, or try Xubuntu. it uses the XFC desktop environment which i find fast.