how to merge the two intall disks into one dvd

ive been told that it is possible to merge the two original install disks of windows MCE

into one disk.

is this correct?

and, most important how do you do this?

i have figured out how to install my software unattended, cannot finish of my installation disk whitout

this information..

quickest way is to use nlite..

create a direcotry C:\xpmce

copy cd1 contents into the xpmce folder, and then copy cd2 contents into xpmce folder

install nlite, and .net 2.0 framework (needs it to run), then remove a couple of things to make it fit (like MSN Explorer, etc etc)

makeiso in nlite, then burn to cd using imgburn

http://www.nliteos.com/ -nlite

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ -framework installer

http://www.imgburn.com/ -imgburn tool

You should be able to fit everything (and then some) onto a DVD without stripping out unneeded files with NLite. I would recommend doing a dry run of the install, and get a feel for where the setup routine is looking for the files. Put in the first CD, run as far as you can on that one, and see where the installation expects the files to be on CD2. On the DVD recreate this directory structure so that it will look for the files, find them, and not prompt you for their location. Also take note that if you're using the MSDN version of MCE, there are some files that are in the wrong locations. Even on a successful by-the-book install you're going to have to point the setup routine around the CD for individual files. This is because in the MSDN version, CD2 is one half MCE, and one half TabletPC. Someone didn't script the install properly at ms.

simply copy both CD (CD1 & CD2) at the root (say MCECD)

and burn bootable CD or DVD and get the fact

windows seraches Cmpnents folder first and then WinIp2

so u do not need to edit txtsetup.sif or create a file named winip2 at the root

//Ramesh//

neo_matrix.rs@indiatimes.com

Well I am actually opposite of everyone else. I need to know how to turn a WinXP MCE 2005 merged DVD into 2 CD's. I tried to trim it down but I could only get it to the upper 800Mb range. It has a good amount of updates intergrated with it.

So, what file do I need to change to move OEM (not $OEM$) and CMPNTS folders to CD2. I really do not care about the Media Center section of the CD but I do want to keep the Themes, Desktop pictures, and Screensaves. This MCE also has a LUNA 4 and 4A that I would like to keep.

I already have the CDSwitch set-up for my WPI just need to get the OS to fit on one or 2 CD's.

Edited by Triel

• 2 weeks later...
simply copy both CD (CD1 & CD2) at the root (say MCECD)

and burn bootable CD or DVD and get the fact

windows seraches Cmpnents folder first and then WinIp2

so u do not need to edit txtsetup.sif or create a file named winip2 at the root

//Ramesh//

neo_matrix.rs@indiatimes.com

100% correct :)