Windows Updates Integrator

Recently I wrote a small tool for Windows updates integration. Basicly speaking, it's similar to the hotfixes integration function of nlite. Though nlite is a great tool in modifying Windows installation source, it has some weakness in integrating Windows updates, for example, it modifies some unnecessary files even if people only use it for Windows updates integration, it fails to delete the files and reg entries that should be deleted on updates installation, and it can integrate hotfixes that should not apply to the Windows installation source, e.g. integrate a WMP10 hotfix to a Windows installation source which only has WMP9. Based on those, I decided to write this tool.

Currently, the tool is partially working (tested on Windows XP Professional SP2 X86 source for hotfixes listed in HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4 – WinXP SP1 – WinXP SP2, that KB917734 cannot be process). I've a few questions and need some help.

First, does anyone know the syntax of "Prerequisite" directive in an INF file, I've searched msdn site but haven't found anything useful, I need more info to finish the condition check part of the tool.

Second, in my knowledge, Windows Server 2003 has 4 editions: Web Server, Standard Server, Enterprise Server and Datacenter. But in Win2K3 updates INF files, there are directives for DataCenterFiles, BladeFiles, BusinessFiles, AdvancedFiles, ServerFiles, ProfessionalFiles. Could anyone piont out which directive applies to which edition of Win2k3.

Third, how to determine that a Windows XP Windows installation source is Professional or Home Edtion, and a Windows Server 2003 installation source is Web Server, Standard Server, Enterprise Server or Datacenter Edition, excepting for looking at the EULA.txt. (Solved)

The tool is available HERE, any contribution and feedback are welcome.

Edited by xian7479

The GUI is very simple, just locating the Windows installation source and where are the updates you wanna integrate, after press the process button, it minimises to system tray, after the integration process finishes, it will popup a message box to notify that the process has finished.

post-49968-1154907272_thumb.jpg

I've moved this file offline 'cause I found a bug. Last week I used this program to integrate drivers into my Windows source (though this tool is not designd for driver integration, I personally integrate drivers by calling fonctions inside this program), I found it didn't write unicode inf file properly. I'll put it back when I fix this bug along with some other issues.