windows xp error please help im desperate

paypastacks

Hi,

Looking at the type of message, it looks like this is an advert to get you to buy the mentioned software.

I am not aware of Microsoft messages looking like this and promoting third party software.

However, I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Jimbo

Try disabling the "Messenger" service from the services. Btw, the messenger service has nothing to do with MSN messenger. I thought the messenger service has been disabled as of SP2, not entirely sure tho.

Regards,

'nuff

Try disabling the "Messenger" service from the services. Btw, the messenger service has nothing to do with MSN messenger. I thought the messenger service has been disabled as of SP2, not entirely sure tho.

Regards,

'nuff

But he won't achieve anything with this solution, he'd only disable messenger service and stop futher receiving of this messages.

He should get rid of the spyware, 'cause obviously his PC is infected..

Yep defitnetly its spywarew/adware problem

use free tool from lavasoft or something to remove

and i recomend you to use firefox as your internet browser or infact any browser apart from intenet explorer as its a nusiance to these thing

hope u got it fixed bye

:thumbup

Yep defitnetly its spywarew/adware problem

use free tool from lavasoft or something to remove

and i recomend you to use firefox as your internet browser or infact any browser apart from intenet explorer as its a nusiance to these thing

hope u got it fixed bye

:thumbup

Please don't start Firefox/IE wars again.. I'm using IE all the time and never had any problems..

i was getting the exact message before and that was right after a clean install of XP. disable the messenger service, all it is, is someone has gotten ahold of your IP address and is sending you spam messages through the service in XP and trying to scare you. theres nothing wrong, you can run a spyware scan just to make sure, but im pretty sure theres nothing wrong. everyone here, re-enable your messenger service and give it some time, you will get a message like that eventually.

In terms of spyware/malware, install a program that monitors activity, As far as the internet browsers, all three will do fine, it is you the user that makes the choice of allowing it or not. Personally i use Opera or IE 7. I took over two of my computers on my network that uses Firefox.

This is just the Messenger service receiving spam ads - it is not that someone has "gotten hold of your IP address", these are simply blasted out to entire IP ranges at random, not aimed at individuals.

It would imply you don't have SP2 installed yet - you should do this ASAP as the Messenger service could be exploited to crash your system.

Always put SP2 onto a clean XP build before going anywhere near the Internet.

Definitely do a spyware/virus cleanup as well.

I agree, the Messenger spam doesn't have to be caused by malware originating from the PC. The two can co-exist without necessarily having a causal link. And it's only just that, not the end of the world.

The graphic is odd: why does it have half an IE bar on the top part?

Where is the rest of the Desktop, it seams like another window was open that froze, it forced closed and the half-IE titlebar remained, along with the Messenge.

After examining the pic, it does seem to resemble the popup messages from sites (pop-up code). I would recommend installing a firewall w/ anti-virus and a soyware/malware remover.

@ N1K,

LOL. As I have mentioned first, and others have confirmed, it IS the messenger service. :P Just install SP2 or disable the messenger service. Chances are there is NO malware installed on your PC.

Please understand how the messenger service works and what can be done with it before telling people their answer is wrong!

;)

Edited by enuffsaid

@ N1K,

LOL. As I have mentioned first, and others have confirmed, it IS the messenger service. :P Just install SP2 or disable the messenger service. Chances are there is NO malware installed on your PC.

Please understand how the messenger service works and what can be done with it before telling people their answer is wrong!

;)

I DO know what messenger service does, so don't be so sure that I don't know what I'm talking about. My mistake was that I must have read this post to quickly and haven't noticed that paypastacks mentioned a fresh installation of WinXP..