.avi won't play from website

I used search first, and found a few things except an answer. I uploaded a 5-6 mb time lapse.avi to my weather site (and want to do so each evening). Using WMP, I can run the .avi on the machine just fine, but when tried directly off the site, I get a "corrupted/wrong format" error message. I went straight to the uploaded file itself and no go --if I drag it back off the site to the desktop, then it's fine. What idiotic little thing am I overlooking? :huh: Thanks.....

if its like tripod, it might be preventing you from playing the file because of a file type restriction or something like that. if you are paying for the web hosting, then its most likely a different reason.

i would also try a different format, maybe trying WMV or another video format, although AVI and WMV are all i really know.

hope this helps a little bit, if not, then someone that might have another idea will post here quickly, know ;)

Willing Webcam software controls the DVR, cams, etc., and can record the .avi in a variety of compression formats. I was using "Cinepac Codec from Radius"...I just tried MS Video 1 for a little while, then uploaded it. WMP opened the .avi from the site as it should, so now we know it was a compressor issue. The Cinepac has great image quality--the MS Video 1 image is pixelated like a cheap .gif. There are 14 different video compressors left to pick from, so it looks like I'll be busy for awhile. Thanks for the response. :)

Well, it works--but the image is pretty bad. There are two sections in the Willing software...one with the 16 compressors, and the time lapse section that offers MS Video 1, or Indeo 5.10.--(it only records in .avi format.) The Indeo image is smaller in MB's, and looks a lot cleaner, but won't play from the website...it plays fine directly off the machine. I'd like to find out exactly why it works fine here, but not from the site--I really don't want to have to use MS Video 1.