file and printer sharing

Mick123

I am having trouble getting my 2 computers to share files or printers. I did have it working previously but with my new computer no luck. I have 1 windows XP Pro and 1 XP Home system. The XP Pro computer has a USB modem for my DSL connection which is the internet connection host. The internet connection sharing works between the computers so I know the hardware is working ok. There is one glitch in the internet connection sharing and that is certain sites, like yahoo mail inbox, I can not access from the client machines. I can only access the sites from the internet connection host computer.

The other problem is file sharing. My internet host machine is using a static IP address 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the internet client machine is obtaining an IP address automatically. When I try to access the LAN on the XP Home computer that is the internet client machine, I get the following error:

\\computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you access permissions. The Network Path was not found.

"

I have the same user names and passwords on both machines and have tried every combintion of security and protocol setups I could think of over the past 2 weeks.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Mick

What workgroup name are you using for each machine? It could also be that you need different usernames and passwords for each..

Also are you running any firewall? If so shut it off.

Can you remote desktop into the other machine client>host and host>client?

I'm using a workgroup called workgroup on both computers right now. I have tried other names.

I've always had the same passwords on my machines and it has worked before.

I don't have a firewall running on my LAN, just on my DSL modem.

I can remote desktop to my XP PRO computer. Can you remote desktop login to an XP HOME computer. I don't see where you can turn the service on.

My basic problem is that no matter what I try on my XP HOME computer I get the following errror:

Home is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Thanks,

Mick

Make sure your subnet mask are the same. Also how are you connecting the 2 computers? You may have to set up a bridge on the Pro box if you are using 2 different types of connections. Do you have anything set to share on the Pro box? i.e. folders, files, printer, etc.... Can you access the Home box and all of its shared goodies O.K.?

Subnet masks are the same. It is the XP Home computer that is having the problem. When I go to My Network Places and select view network computers both computers show up in the window but when I select the XP Home computer it gives the error:

\\computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you access permissions. The Network Path was not found.

• 5 months later...

what happen when you try to access shares via run command \\ComputerName or \\IPaddress?

If you still get same error message, try to enable the guest account on both machines. Then test. If the problem is gone, then disable the guest account and create a new account that matches the other machine logon information.

• 2 weeks later...