Modified Files before Windows Patches.. then have to Patch again...

couldn't think of a good title for this topic.. lol.. but pretty simple question, If i Modified a file such as UXtheme.dll (for custom themes) and put it on my CD after it's been modifype'd and makecab'd.. then i install the windows updates.. the files are no longer modified.. (if a new version came out of that file)...

is there anyway to add the modified files and not have windows update replace them, or will windows update always update the files...

example.. just to make it clear..

My XPCD is using Version 5 of UXTheme.dll... I run AutoPatcher and then i have UXTheme version 7. (thus my file is no longer patched) can i then take my now version 7 uxtheme, re-patch it and put it back on the XPCD to avoid having to do it again, or will the file be overwritten when i run AutoPatcher or any other update process? (until the next uxtheme.dll file version 8 comes out)

*version numbers were kept small to try to avoid confusion..*

yea doesn't look like you can, i patched my UXTheme and when i finally got in windows the theme was running fine, after patching.. it overwrote the file and themes no longer worked.

gonna have a look around the net and see if i can find any good replace command line programs, i know theres Replacer but hopefully something without any user intervention.

Windows Update doesn't normally update uxtheme.dll. I patched it in 2003 (manually, not using UACD) and it's still there despite SP2 and subsequent updates. I don't know about versions, but my patched and unpatched XP installs have the same ver number (v. 6.0.2900.2180).

Edited by Takeshi