Windows 98 3rd edition?

janus zeal

Re: "New ideas to add to your project"...

"Dear Santa"..

I want a software that will make a copy of the registry, before and after a virus attack.. to show me the changes made, so I can delete the registry entries the bug added... And that gets me the IP of the one who sent me the bug, so I can send it back to him, with the sounds of a loud fart, a horrid cold splash, and a toilet flushing...

I would like a system that asks me for every added registry entry, so I can compare them to a bad registry keys list after an attack, and to have the option of deleting it before it gets into the registry...

I would like a plug-in that allows me to prepare sub-headers, under a dingbat, to be added between words in a thesis.. for to add pix, links, and descriptions, to the statements, in that link...

I would like a firewall and AVS scanner that actually work with SeaMonkey... I wish SeaMonkey would build a fire wall/AVS/anti-trojan into SeaMonkey...

*I would really like to eliminate that horrid Window's shut-down splash screen.. and **have the option of changing the two Windows splash screens to pix of my choosing... I would really like to eliminate the computer's bright-white startup splash... I have many pieces of glass in the backs of my eyes, from a nasty lab explosion, and that startup splash is blinding for me at night.. and super irritates my developing night vision...

I would like to be able to dim my flatscreen by 30% more... It's already set as dim as it goes now... I suppose I need a filter on it... Are there such filters? a pink ambrosia screen would be nice...

Sometimes "Tiny Personal Firewall" pops up a warning on something I don't recognize: "Do you want to allow your computer to send a packet to IP X?".. I would like the ability to open that packet, and modify it, then let it go to whomever is snooping on my machine.. to send them a short video clip of my favorite full-moon in action...

I would like to etablish a "My Documents" file of vindictive-stuff I want snoops to get.. and somehow block my true Documents from them getting at that...

Most of the modern registry cleaners will delete key and bits of the OS that the OS needs to function.. One must check those suppos-ed found "bad keys" carefully... It would be nice to have something that pops up a warning that something shouldn't be deleted...

A built-in front-end boot virus-scanner/natas blocker & dump would be nice...

*I really want to change that boring goofy arrow cursor to a tiny metallic red sword, that spins when desktop is active...

And I'd like to be able to left click change the cursor to a clawed tiger's paw, or other objects, at will..

I would like a software that acts as a antibody to an incoming e-virus...

I would like a border all around a window, that when clicked, shuts-down the window...

I would like a software that blocks-out those smilies beside the composer page, while I'm composing in forum forms... Those smilies break my train of thought when on a roll.. Thank goodness SeaMonkey has a stop-animation feature...

I would like something that tells me what parts of the OS are missing, at the click of the mouse...

I would like to be able to place buttons of my choosing on the desktop...

I.E.: SeaMonkey Compose, SeaMonkey Cookies Mgr, and Auto-sign into Yahoo, restore registry...

I would like a software icon on the desktop, that when clicked will totally uninstall and delete the software whose icon I've placed into a tiny empty desktop box shaped like a green trashbag.. as in "taking out the trash"...

I would like to be able to load a new install into both partitions simultaneously...

I would like the 6 winning number for the next 649 lotto... (from #'s 1 to 49)...

..And a black Corvette, with wire wheels.. And a water cooled PC, with the latest Apple/Windows combo OS, and six flat-screen monitors...

There's more.. but I'll wait till you drop down the chimney for beer and cookies and ladies...

Edited by KingAuther

I've inspected the layout INF files in more detail, and it seems that there is no pattern to how the files are listed, although they are in numerical order; for example, the following files are listed as free-floating in file 1:

dossetup.bin=0,,85050
suback.bin=0,,229680
w98setup.bin=0,,168096
chl99.cab=0,,14451
mini.cab=0,,686042
deltemp.com=0,,496
save32.com=0,,920
scanprog.exe=0,,4438
setup.exe=0,,5712
smartdrv.exe=0,,45379
sucatreg.exe=0,,77824
wb16off.exe=0,,537
xmsmmgr.exe=0,,14144
scandisk.pif=0,,995
setup0.wav=0,,439824
setup1.wav=0,,14924
setup2.wav=0,,14992

In the second file, only one file is listed as free-floating.

scandisk.exe=0,,143818

The third, which does not list any files from CAB 1:

setup.txt=0,,52294

What was M$'s intention in doing it this way? If I just split the output INF into three equal parts sequentially, the setup doesn't work.

I've inspected the layout INF files in more detail, and it seems that there is no pattern to how the files are listed, although they are in numerical order; for example, the following files are listed as free-floating in file 1:

dossetup.bin=0,,85050
suback.bin=0,,229680
w98setup.bin=0,,168096
chl99.cab=0,,14451
mini.cab=0,,686042
deltemp.com=0,,496
save32.com=0,,920
scanprog.exe=0,,4438
setup.exe=0,,5712
smartdrv.exe=0,,45379
sucatreg.exe=0,,77824
wb16off.exe=0,,537
xmsmmgr.exe=0,,14144
scandisk.pif=0,,995
setup0.wav=0,,439824
setup1.wav=0,,14924
setup2.wav=0,,14992

In the second file, only one file is listed as free-floating.

scandisk.exe=0,,143818

The third, which does not list any files from CAB 1:

setup.txt=0,,52294

What was M$'s intention in doing it this way? If I just split the output INF into three equal parts sequentially, the setup doesn't work.

<file> = <cabinet number>,<subdir>,<filename>,<size>,<checksum>

could the checksum be the issue for the failure, if the files replaced did not match etc

I read somewhere microsoft did it this way to make the test and development easier, making it easier to edit and replace files if an update was needed during development

I've inspected the layout INF files in more detail, and it seems that there is no pattern to how the files are listed, although they are in numerical order

(snip)

It may have something to do with the need to match copy*.inf to layout*.inf. I haven't looked in detail, but it appears that "copy" appears to have the same list of files as "layout," and in the same order; it may be that the two have to be exactly in sync.

Reproducing copy*.inf with a different file order would be a real PITA, since copy*.inf lists each file followed by its LDID destination, and I can't think of a good way to reproduce that using an automated script.

Fortunately, it's relatively easy to force makecab to generate a layout.inf that matches the original's arrangement, using a relational .ddf (see my earlier post in this thread if you haven't already).

As to why they stuck the file names into the various layout files in the order they did, I don't know. But remember that windows 98se is the fifth or sixth version of windows to use the same setup engine, and no programmer is going to rewrite an installation script when they can just add on to a pre-existing script. So whatever reason existed for the ordering of files under windows 95 is probably the reason for the ordering under windows 98se.

:hello: thxz 4 comming out janus.lol.3rd edition isnt that Me lol.so u want to repack the cabs from original 98se with inf and updated dlls plus add dx9 ie6sp1 wmp9 etc and maybe cool bootlogos etc and tada u have win 98se (2006)edition nice idea.what gets me is we have rp5 98se2me etx etc all addons .why cant u guys just get 2getter and combine it all and make this completed updated iso seem easy enuff ill supply coffee.

I dont have time for this project right now, im sorry. >_<
...I'm still working on it though :thumbup

@glaurung: I believe M$ is using a private tool to generate these INFs. I guess I'll just use the relational DDF method... or maybe a script to replace the CAB numbers in the original layout INFs with the correct ones.

Edited by LLXX

I dont have time for this project right now, im sorry. >_<

:no:

...I'm still working on it though :thumbup

@glaurung: I believe M$ is using a private tool to generate these INFs. I guess I'll just use the relational DDF method... or maybe a script to replace the CAB numbers in the original layout INFs with the correct ones.

Appreciate your time and effort LLXX

@echo off

makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 %1 %2

Edited by oscardog

Hi LLXX!

I'm visiting win98 forum from time to time to search for new ideas.

I got very interested in your work for re-cabbing CABs. Those spanned CABs of win98 are extremely terrible.

I'm following your attempts and need to know what's new.

Thanks.

Hi LLXX!

I'm visiting win98 forum from time to time to search for new ideas.

I got very interested in your work for re-cabbing CABs. Those spanned CABs of win98 are extremely terrible.

I'm following your attempts and need to know what's new.

Thanks.

I have created a slipstreaming tool called w98_slip which will update and totally repackage the setup cabs without any spanning. You can find it in the unofficial service pack forum here.

Many thanks dude! I'll check it soon.

I hope Windows SETUP will not throw errors to my face as it always did using my badly modified CABs.

So far I haven't gotten feedback from others who have tried it, but I did my best to design it to be error free, and I was able to use it to integrate the updated files from the unofficial service pack and do a maximum install with no errors whatsoever.

• 11 months later...
I've figured it out now. The generation of the CAB set has to be done in several passes.

On the first pass, layout*.inf will be present in the source, but just as a dummy file.

The generated INF is then split into portions 64k or less (limitation on INF file size) and reinserted into the source, then MakeCAB is run again.

Now, the layout*.inf can reference themselves.

Below is the description file I have so far. I have annotated it with files that definitely need to be updated.

In addition, I would like a comprehensive list of all the updated files that are available, so that I can replace the existing version with a newer one.

Edit: Couldn't attach it, nor put 6000+ lines in my post :(

http://rapidshare.de/files/28846750/MAKE98TE.txt.html

This link is broken. Does anyone have this file or more information on this method?

--iWindoze