Using an MD5 function from an external dll in VB6

I found a better solution than what I was trying to do HERE. Hopefully it'll help someone else out that's looking for a good MD5 routine in VB6.

It uses the builtin function of advapi.dll and is very fast.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Tom

• 2 months later...

If you are still interested in pursuing this project, I have a working DLL, with source code, that generates MD5 digests on a file of any size. My DLL is based on the work of Dr. Ronald Rivest, and incorporates code that he published several years ago. Although I've had in mind to publish my DLL, I keep getting distracted by other projects. You can contact me directly through my Web site, at http://www.wizardwrx.com/, using the mail form.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, expect an email from PCUSER. My project is working great but I'd love to see you're implementation even if it's just for knowledge. I have it hashing 100+ mb (around 4,500 files) in about 30 seconds now with no dll's or external depends but I'm curious to see the algorithm used in your dll.

Tom

3.33MB/s, that's not very fast... unless your processor is in the MHz range.

I have a highly optimised MD5 implementation in Asm, it's a bit long so I won't post the code here but it hashes at approximately 350MB/s on a 4.17GHz P4.

• 2 years later...

LLXX,

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your ASM code and send it to me via email. I'm using ThunderVB to add inline ASM to some of my VB programs and it would be great to be able to use an MD5 function coded in ASM without using an external dll.