Title: URGENT: Recovery of offline files under different user account.

decoy5657

I have a serious problem, here’s the scenario;

User used to be connected to a domain in Florida. The user synchronized a network drive to his laptop for offline use. He moved to Louisville and continued to log into the domain, even though it was not physically available to him. He kept logging in with a cached set of credentials. This goes on for 8 months; during that time he continually updated the offline folder with new data.

I just joined his laptop to the domain in the office where he works. This instantly created a problem of him not being able to access his offline files. He can browse to their original network location \\server\home\username and see’s them all as synchronized and available. However, he can’t access any of them, or copy them to a new location as he is logging into the computer as a different account on an entirely different domain.

Facts:

The files are there.

The attributes cannot be changed.

I see no way to take ownership of the files, I’m sure this is by design of Windows for security reasons.

The original domain is no longer available to connect to.

What can I do?

Install another OS like linux or your copy of windows xp again to dualboot. Boot into it and browse to your fles u need on the right partition.

Note: my experimenting has shown you can multiboot on one partition. All key folders have a .00 at the end. e.g. WINDOWS.00, Documents and Settings.00, but on one partition it is really buggy.

You tried this logged in as the local administrator? (Not domain account)

If so, just go grab a copy of PE Builder from www.nu2.nu and build a cd.. Boot off that and move the files and reset the permisions. You will be logged in as the System account.. If you cant reset it that way.. welll..

you can try ERD Commander. It lets you do alot of cool things like change anyones password including the admins even if you dont know what it is. you can also recover files and do alot more. Works on everything from NT to 2003. And its a bootable CD. I hope this helps.

Sector7

I had to mess with the same problem some years ago and the only solution i found was to rejoin the old domain, copy all offline files to local hard drive with the old account and then join the new domain again.