WINDOWS 98SE Rules!, I don't care what you say......

kartel

I just slapped in a new mobo on my 98se box and without a hitch it all went well.

windows 98se had all the drivers dated 1999, FIVE YEARS before this board hit the market and at least a year or 2 before this board was even in production, period.

Nice job 9X !!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::thumbup

Congratulations :thumbup

You know why I like Windows 98?

It gives me the power to manipulate it how I want. :D

And with the 137 GB Barrier broken, I think I'll keep on using it.

Kudos to all the developers keeping this operating system alive.

I just slapped in a new mobo on my 98se box and without a hitch it all went well.

windows 98se had all the drivers dated 1999, FIVE YEARS before this board hit the market and at least a year or 2 before this board was even in production, period.

Well that's good. I would congratulate the device manufacturer since Microsoft doesn't write drivers. I guess you overlooked that.

Good luck using dual core processors or anything 64-bit. Oh yeah, good luck with > 512 MB RAM, security and bug updates from Microsoft, Blu Ray and HD-DVD support, Dual core and Hyperthreading CPUs, CrossFire and SLI, Data Execution Prevention, and most brand new retail software.

Good luck ... Oh yeah, good luck ...

Wow, thanks fella! What a generous guy! :D

Say hello and good luck to all those in the XP & Vista forums from us here, will you? Thanks! :D

Ah, I love it when we all share the love. :)

kartel, thats awsome. my laptop from back in 1999, when it was designed for 98 doesnt even load drivers for anything. the only thing that loads, are the ports, pcmcia and IR. thats it :blink: weird, but ok, luckily dell has my drivers for it still :D

anyway, heres some stuff for you to check out on windows 98:

Windows 98 Security Guide

Windows 98 Ultimate

Windows 98 Performance Guide

@raskren

blu-ray wont be much needed anyway, not if you have an external HDD. The 512mb ram barrier is broken, and theres lots of third part developers to write security updates anyway. plus, it all usually comes down to end users and how they use a computer. the best thing other than having an AV/Malware/Firewall program, is just to be cautious.

just letting you know :)

Edited by Cygnus

Well that's good. I would congratulate the device manufacturer since Microsoft doesn't write drivers. I guess you overlooked that.

Good luck using dual core processors or anything 64-bit. Oh yeah, good luck with > 512 MB RAM, security and bug updates from Microsoft, Blu Ray and HD-DVD support, Dual core and Hyperthreading CPUs, CrossFire and SLI, Data Execution Prevention, and most brand new retail software.

1.) Well MS included the "98 drivers" years before the chipset was even realized.

2.) dual core 64 bit aren't faster most cpu's are 64bit inside and have "dual core", mine has 2-256k cache's side by side,and 2-64k cache's, I guess that would be quadruple core

3:) If you'd slow down enough to see my signature, I am running 1GB on DUAL CHANNEL

which is hyper transport

4:) most brand new retail software is garbage, hence still on 98

5:) Data Execution Prevention? windows 98 doesn't execute it's data, it loves it's data.

6:) I dont see any diff. between 8x agp and 16x pcix systems

7:) I think your just feeling the burn, and is lashing out

8:) However, it is possible to optimize operating system behaviour on Hyper-Threading capable systems, such as the Linux

• 3 weeks later...
1.) Well MS included the "98 drivers" years before the chipset was even realized.

2.) dual core 64 bit aren't faster most cpu's are 64bit inside and have "dual core", mine has 2-256k cache's side by side,and 2-64k cache's, I guess that would be quadruple core

3:) If you'd slow down enough to see my signature, I am running 1GB on DUAL CHANNEL

which is hyper transport

4:) most brand new retail software is garbage, hence still on 98

5:) Data Execution Prevention? windows 98 doesn't execute it's data, it loves it's data.

6:) I dont see any diff. between 8x agp and 16x pcix systems

7:) I think your just feeling the burn, and is lashing out

8:) However, it is possible to optimize operating system behaviour on Hyper-Threading capable systems, such as the Linux

1.) No. It is a generic chipset driver that works for many chipsets. Why is this so hard to understand? Post your INF file and I'll show you.

2.) You're right. 64-bit and dual core cpus aren't faster on Windows 98. They are multiple times faster on everything else though. I see you don't even understand the concept anyway.

3.) How many patches and hacks did you need to get 1GB working?

4.) Enjoy the computing stone age.

5.) I take it that was a joke. DEP is a real security technology you'll never get to use.

6.) Show me a Windows 98 crossfire or SLI system, please.

7.) Feeling the burn from what? You? You're a misinformed computer user clinging to a legacy operating system for no real reason.

8.) And that relates to Windows 98 how? There's no multithreading on any 9x OS.

Edited by raskren