Changing Xp Serial

phantasia

Greetings everyone.

I just bought a copy of windows xp professional with sp2.

I've been searching for a way of using the license i just bought on the current instalation of xp that i have. I don't feel like formating the main disk because i did it last week.

If there is a way of doing it, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

Try this vb script:

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

if Wscript.arguments.count<1 then

Wscript.echo "Script can't run without VolumeProductKey argument"

Wscript.echo "Correct usage: Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PRSTU-WYQZX"

Wscript.quit

end if

Dim VOL_PROD_KEY

VOL_PROD_KEY = Wscript.arguments.Item(0)

VOL_PROD_KEY = Replace(VOL_PROD_KEY,"-","") 'remove hyphens if any

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (VOL_PROD_KEY)

if err <> 0 then

WScript.Echo Err.Description, "0x" & Hex(Err.Number)

Err.Clear

end if

Next

Well, it seems i'm doing everything right... But it seems that this illegal copy that i have instaled doesn't accept the new volume key... Could it be because i made all the latest updates? Or even for this copy being using a corporate key or something like that...

Looks like i'll have to format again... :}

Btw, thank you all for your answers :)

Edited by phantasia

phantasia, what version of Windows XP did you buy? Also, what is your Product ID (PID)?

To find your PID simply right click My Computer > Properties

Under "Registered To" it will have something as follows:

XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

The first five digits and the following the letters/numbers are what is needed to identify what version of Windows you have.

As an alternative, you can download Dial-a-fix. After you download Dial-a-fix, run the program and click the Log button. It's between the Tools button and the Help button. Once inside the log, you can simply type to us what your MPC line is.

won't happen...your trying to input a OEM/Retail key into an installation PID of a Corporate Version....im not sure you can change the PID once its been installed....there are differance in the files of a Corporate and that of OEM/Retail.

your pirated Corporate probably shows a PID of XXXXX-640-XXXXXX

Edited by jroc

640 through 648, 652 : Volume License (usually generated via 270 CID in setupp.ini)

This link should help you.

How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP

Already tried using the activation wizard. And it tells me that the key is incorrect.

Well, thank you very much for all your help, but i'm going to format this thing and spare myself a whole lot of trouble...