Automatic Updates wont install

xvxbluewingsxvx

I dont know much about computers, so I really dont have any idea as to what is happening.

About three weeks ago, my computer all of a sudden just went black and this screen came up telling me that there had been some kind of error and I had to reinstall the Disks that came along with my computer when i bought it. All of the information I had on my computer was completely erased. And so.. I was left with the old version of everything seeing as how I got this computer about four or five years ago.

I've updated it as much as I could so far to get it back to how it used to be.. but when trying to install SP 2.. I only get this screen coming up.

intallij8.jpg

I've tried to search for an answer to this.. but I really dont have any idea as to what it is and why its happening. My computer seems so much slower then it was when I did have all of those updates. Some programs that used to work perfectly just freeze now whenever I try to use them. :}

I dont have any firewall on my computer.. or virus program that could be blocking it from installing. It tells me that the updates have been downloaded. They only need to install.. but wont. And it wont tell me why they wont.

and yes, the version of XP that I have is genuine

These are the updates listed as not installed :

Q329048: Security Update

Q323255: Security Update (Windows XP)

Q329390: Security Update

Q329115: Security Update (Windows XP)

329170: Security Update

811630: Critical Update (Windows XP)

810577: Security Update

814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)

Q329441: Critical Update

Security Update for Windows XP (815021)

817606: Security Update (Windows XP)

823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

Security Update for Windows XP (329834)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 (KB834707)

810833: Security Update (Windows XP)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2006 (KB890830)

Have u ever had problems with Spyware or Virus :blink: ??? maybe ur System Update is disabled or not correcly running....try searching XP-Antyspy (google it) or reinstall ur windows i am sure that the 2nd option is the way to fix it if u dont wanna play with registry values trying if this works or not... i am goin' to search any software that fixs exactly ur problem or can help y more good luck

Have u ever had problems with Spyware or Virus :blink: ??? maybe ur System Update is disabled or not correcly running....try searching XP-Antyspy (google it) or reinstall ur windows i am sure that the 2nd option is the way to fix it if u dont wanna play with registry values trying if this works or not... i am goin' to search any software that fixs exactly ur problem or can help y more good luck

I have had problems with spyware a few times.. to the point that I had to reinstall windows once :blink: .. nothing ever that bad really tho.. It just got to an annoying point.

Im pretty sure system updates isnt disabled.. im not sure if its running correctly tho. I'll try out the Antispy thing and see if it works. I really dont want to have to reinstall windows again so soon :wacko: Thanks for your help :yes:

Your problem is not due to WAU having been disabled - if that's the case you won't even see the error becuase WAU is not happening at all.

XP Antispy is not going to help here. This utility only blocks some update features within XP; it does not get rid of malware.

Not being able to install all updates via WAU is in itself not disastrous: you can try rebooting and let WAU redo itself and using WU or MU website or manually download the individual updates and install them.

What seems to be the crux of the matter is why your PC had black screen in the first place. Since there's no info on this, we don't really know.

During re-install, what you should really have done is to have an SP2 on CD ready and immediately apply SP2 after installation of XP before even connecting to the internet. This way, you're protected. Without the firewall protection and updates, your PC could be infected within seconds of connecting to the net.