Having a bit of trouble with latest SP

I have installed the service pack on many machines with only minor issues along the way. Now for the first time I think I need a little help with this latest install. First I will give you the short version:

Basically, I am starting from scratch, with freshly fdisked/formatted 80GB drive, and a fresh install of 98se from full retail disk, with custom install options selected to add/remove certain components. I then continue on down my installation order list and everything seems to be working as it should, that is, until I apply the SP 2.1a. There is no problem during installation of the patch, except for one file that is older than the one currently on the drive (I have tried both keeping and replacing this file, same results). The actual problem does not occur until after rebooting the machine, where I get the familiar "Windows Protection Error, please reboot...." I have another machine already connected to the net, so I took the advice from this article: How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Errors

Boots into Safe Mode, no problems...so I try various boot configs with msconfig selective startup, as per the above link, same results.

Okay, that does it for the short version, now comes the installation list and hardware specs:

1. FDISK/Format (single 80GB partition)

2. W98SE Full Retail (custom)

3. IE 6.0 SP1 (typical)

4. INF Utility

5. DirectX 9.0c

6. Intel Application Accelerator

7. Video card driver

8. Monitor driver

9. Sound driver

10. NIC driver

11. UW98SE SP 2.1a (full install)

----------------------------------This is where the problem occurs, I will include the complete list though

12. Critical Updates

13. Security Software

14. All other programs

Hardware:

Mobo: Intel D815EEA2 (latest bios v2.1)

CPU: Intel P3 1.0GHz Socket 370

RAM: 512MB PC-133 2x256MB

GPU: PNY Verto GeForce FX 5500 128MB AGP 8x (Nvidia Forceware 81.98 driver)

HD: 80GB Maxtor DM80 IDE

SND: Onboard SoundMax (latest driver)

NIC: Onboard Intel PRO 100 VE (latest driver)

DVD: Pioneer DVD-116 (latest firmware)

PSU: PCPower&Cooling 275w Silencer

Misc: Floppy drive and Zip 250MB internal drive

I have made three attempts with this installation order, making only minor changes each time. The first attempt, I just went down the list and only rebooting when asked. The second attempt was different...any time a reboot was necessary, I let it occur. Then, I would reboot the machine again once more, and then shut it down completely after that and then turn on manually. I did this just to make sure everything had a chance to finish installing before moving on to the next step in the list. On my third attempt, I did the same as the second, only this time I booted into Safe Mode and tried troubleshooting using the above link. I get the Windows Protection Error no matter what combination of boot options. I wanted to give more details in my installation order, but I'm afraid it will get too long and detailed to the point of being useless to anyone but me, but if there is something else you need to know, please ask away.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, when I am installing the Soundmax driver, a window pops up saying that a component is missing and I need to update, but the driver still installs and the sound works just fine. :unsure:

I am assuming that waiting until after critical/recommended updates to install that driver would likely do away with that popup? Either way, the sound works just fine after the driver installs.

I know that WPEs are quite common and I would guess that this will be a driver/hardware issue, but thought it might be worth a shot to post and gather suggestions before I decide not to install the SP on this machine.

Edited by Bee4See64

Yes, I select all options for SP install. I would consider deselecting some options if that would help, and maybe add them later? Or just do without the extras, whichever will work.

EDIT:

Ok, I gave it another try. The issue with the Soundmax driver was resolved. I was leaving out an important step which I noticed on this now 4th attempt. Everything went smoothly just as before, so I applied the SP. This time I selected only the Main Updates and Performance Tweaks. Again, only one file gave me the choice of replacing or keeping it and this time I wrote it down: Hhctrlui.dll MSHTML Help Control 5.02.3664.0, and I chose to keep the newer file that was already there. After the installation was complete, I rebooted and saw the same WPE message as before. :(

I don't want to give up just yet.....it would be nice if I could also install the w98se2me and RP, MD's USB, KernelXP, etc, but if I can't get this SP working, I don't see the point in trying the rest. I am planning on setting up this machine to replace two others that I have running now, both with SP 2 installed. I'll give it another go, this time with only the main updates and get back to ya. Thanks.

Edited by Bee4See64

No expert here on troubleshooting this as trying to use the older VXD version of Creative LiveWare gave me IOS RMM Windows Protection Errors similar to what you are getting. Never could fix it, so don't use the old LiveWare. The Service Pack wasn't what instigated the error in my case, but installing software such as MSN Messenger, Works, etc would bring about the error.

From your specs I did have a suggestion, which is why I'm posting. You have a Zip drive there. That's been known to cause problems at times in combination with other things. What I would try in your case would be removing the power and IDE cable from it and go through your whole formatting and setup of stuff. Then, if things go smoothly there, install the latest Iomega software and hook up your Zip drive.

It's a shot, but it may just be something in all the updating of files done by the Service Pack that the Zip Drive files are interferring with. Once all is updated though, the latest available Iomega software should be able to install what it needs to make the drive function smoothly. Try not to install older software from them or use the built in Windows Zip Drive software either. The newest version cleaned up a lot of old problems.

Oh, and disconnecting from the internet and setting your firewall and virus scanners not to run at startup really help in surviving all the file version updates as well. Try that along with not installing the Zip Drive until later in the process.

Hey, thanks for the response.

It's funny you mention the Zip drive, I was wondering if it might be a problem as I had never had a zip drive in any previous machine that I installed SP 2 on. Not only that, but from the start the zip drive letter assingment is "E:", but as soon as I install intel application accelerator, it changes to "D:". This might cause me a slight delay, as I was using the Zip drive to install the various drivers and IE6SP1, etc. I was kinda hoping that I would not need to use a disc, but if that's what it takes then so be it. I will give another try tomorrow after work and keep you updated. Thanks for the tip.

my aunt's Dell computer with WinME has internal ATAPI/IDE 250Mb ZIP drive and I install the latest IomegaWare software (v4.02) which also includes Iomega ZIP drivers. get it here:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/i...nZT0x&p_li=

Install the IomegaWare software first and reboot computer before connecting any external Iomega drives. After reboot, IomegaWare should detect an internal or external Iomega drive.

IomegaWare also installs Q273468 hotfix for Win95/98.

Cool man, thanks for the link. I will add that to the burn list for sure.

I tried to burn a disc last night and found my burner took a crawp and I won't have a replacement until tomorrow. So I should be able to give it another go by Thursday evening, only this time a little wiser ;)

*UPDATE*

Problem resolved.

It was the Zip drive. :rolleyes:

I decided to try and boot the machine after disconnecting the drive, just to see what would happen. Sure enough, Windows loaded without any errors at all. I just couldn't live with myself knowing that the install did not go smoothly from the start, so I Maxblasted the hard drive and gave it a fresh install with all SP options selected and it works great. Thanks for the advice. :) I will be sure to help the next person that comes along with the same problem, if I can.