Winsock problem

Flavius

Ok, so I just installed xp on my new computer and everything works fine except for the internet connection. I'm connected through a LAN. My computer has an IP, I can ping it and other IPs on the network but when I use IE to browse the web I get the "Page cannot be displayed" thing. So i searched around on Microsofts site and I found out that my problem was corrupted winsock registry keys. So I deleted those, rebooted and then re-installed TCP/IP and the internet works like a charm! Here's my problem: Everythime I reboot after I last installed TCP/IP, the same thing happens again so I have to do it all over again. Looks like something's messing with the registry. It's a totally clean version of XP, almost nothing on it. I have Norton AV and Firewall enabled so no viruses or stuff, as far as I know.

Anyone might have a clue on how I can permanently fix this and not everytime I start my computer?

Thanx a bunch

Just google "microsoft winsock fix" and you should find it. I only have the article in swedish.

Well, I did try with several tools but actually none of those fix the problem at all. When I do it manually I can manage to fix it but like I said, if I reboot the computer I have to do it all over again.

WFP does NOT protect the registry, only some other system files.

What exactly is the Winsock error in the registry?

I think it could well be your NIC or driver problem. During booting, Windows detects PnP devices and writes to the HKLM so it's just conceivable that hardware or driver is to blame.

The other thing to do is, when IE has a problem, try another browser to see if it's confined to IE.

Since you can get it to work, but then it is broken after restart.. One thing comes to mind.. A broken piece of spyware/adware using a winsock addition.. Every reboot it is try to add it back in, but is somehow failing.. Possibily creating the registry key, but the dll the winsock addtion is supposed to use is missing.. Try LSP-FIX or if that doesnt work, post a thread again.. I can give you a quick registry file that will wipe out the winsock registry section and just import the the stock settings again..

If it still keeps coming back after restart, I would still suspect broken spyware.. I have to admit rightnow, I am not a fan of Norton AntiVirus anymore.. Viruses, eh... But for spyware, it doesnt fill me with confidence.. You might need a little more software to attack this.. Possibly some other antivirus.. Or to start with, Spybot or some sort of dedicate antispyware software..