PS3 or Xbox 360

H4CK

Which is better?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Xbox 360
    • Playstation 3

Weel, before they we have concerts on them, Movies come first. Industry only changes when others push it. We do not count unfortnatly.

The chance of we as a group try to change the industry is about the same as we trying to as Microsoft to make a better OS.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

One nice thing about Blue-ray is supposedly the DVD menus can be more sophisticated.

Over-complicated perhaps but maybe problematic. It's based on J2ME, and if it's as it is for cell phones... No 2 VMs seem to be compatible. I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems getting discs to play on all players (right now there's only one out, so it's still too early to tell). I don't see a need to run a complex language/program for something as simple as a menu. Sounds totally overkill. I doubt the usual authoring tools will do much in terms of fancy java code, so I don't expect to see many special menus either.

In contrast with HD DVD, which uses a simple semantic XML format (you'd be able to do it yourself, even with notepad). Everything is simple, and quite alike to commonly known web formats (simple markup, javascript, standard fonts, jpg/png pics, etc). There's even a free iHD simulator download from MS' site. You can find some samples and related blogs too. Simple, elegant, good and easy dev/authoring tools, familiar technologies (very web-like). What more can one ask for? Add your video, encoded in your favorite format with your usual encoder (MS has WM Encoder Studio Ed for VC1 too), and you're set. No need to learn anything complicated, ditch all your tools and buy expensive soft or anything.

Add to that the much higher prices of Blu-Ray players (and seemingly the current Blu-Ray player has issues) and blank discs, and such... Beta-Ray it is!

Oops, maybe a little OT indeed?

• 4 weeks later...

More good? You mean, gooder? ;)

Nah. The console really isn't better, it's just quite a bit more expensive. The other real difference (besides price) is game selection.

Oh, and seemingly it's not in production yet(!) and major component shortages are already predicted, which will lower sales even further (as if the price alone wasn't enough of a deterrent)

Edited by crahak

Definitely with you on the PC over console thing there. But if I had to choose I'd say PS3, it's supposedto be nuclear powered and from my ownexperience with Sony they seem to be really good with after sales servie ie. fixing things when I break them!

There, fixed your post for you ;) Seriously, EVERY format Sony launched in the last 20 years or so is dead or dying.
Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson).

-blu-ray.com

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the Wii option? 360 and PS3 are EQUALS in terms of horsepower, but so far 360's been a hunk of junk hardware-wise. I've no enthusiasm for Sony, either--PS1 and PS2 were *both* trash, throwaway hardware (I went through 3 PS1's and 4 PS2's, so far I'm on my 3rd 360) and I won't give Sony another *dime* of my money for ANY of their junk electronics again.

Wii for the Win. Let MS and Sony fall dick-first in the dirt where they belong, and mayb Bluray die a horrible, flaming death like virtually every other Sony backed format.

Jason