How would you block ALL access to the Internet on your LAN?

pretty simple question, But..

How would you block all access to the internet from your LAN?

I put filter rules in my D-Link router and everything gets blocked IF it wasn't connected before... so if i was on AIM and the filter rules got put into effect, i can still use AIM until i sign off... same goes with other apps such as mIRC, Ventrilo, X-Fire, etc....

only thing i can think of to disconnect them is to run a scheduled task to shut down the users comp with a countdown from 15 minutes... but i find that a bit harsh.

How would you block all access to the internet from your LAN?

um... I know... Unplug the Modem ;)

That was also going to be my suggestion. The simplest always works ;)

What if HE want's access? Or just allow your MAC address.

... then I guess the wording should have said, eveybody but me Edited by discountpc

I dont beleive d-link routers have this type of functionality built into them. If you create a rule to block something, it goes on a packet by packet basis for the connection. each packet is checked by the access list.. if your app was running and communication was flowing, as soon as you apply the filter, the next time that app tries to access the internet it will get denied by the access list.

as far as blocking others on the network except yourself.. create a rule that allows your pc anywhere and put that on the top of the access list.. that way as soon as your pc sends a packet.. it will be allowed by the first access list..

then create 2 more rules. one denying your subnet and one allowing your subnet. in that order

allow you

block everybody

allow everybody

then when you want to block access.. just apply the block everybody rule.. (remember your pc wont get blocked because it is above the deny all rule.)

sorry for the vague question. was really tired when i posted.

already thought of a timer on the modem, which too me isn't really a problem, but i need something more advanced... mainly because i want to set diffrent times for diffrent days of the week.

I was thinkin about a linux distro running on a comp between the router and modem, but have never done that so not sure about it... yet alone have any linux background for doing something with it.

I had a D-link router and i used to block packets from my brothers computer so he could get off the internet. theres a setting somewhere (cant remember becuase i changed from d-link to linksys) that blocked all ip traffic from a certain ip. i know it can be done, i just cant remember how, or if there was a time on it. i'll look farther when i hook up my d-link router later to get some settings.

You could replace your d-link router with a linux box and get all functionnality of a router.

There's even some live preconfigured linux router which will run from CD and write their settings to usb. You could also do this kind of thing with a Bsd distrib.