Custom Multiprocessor Boot Scrren

Does anyone have information about editing boot screens for multiprocessor machines? I have found loads of tutorials and apps which deal with the ntoskrnl.exe, but nothing about ntkrnlmp.exe.

My plan is to customize both files and repack them to an xp cd.

ANY help or advise would be appreciated.

(This is also (kinda) a double post. I came here because people dealing with 64 bit windows, may be using similar hardware. I am not trying to edit 64 bit kernel files!

download reshacker.exe

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

then copy your file you want to the system32 folder and call it ntkrnlmp2.exe (or similar) -must be 4bit bitmap (16 colours)

now open that file with reshacker and save the bitmaps, then edit them (in paint .net or photoshop etc and place them back in (it'll make sense once you open it)

save all the resources

now open C:\boot.ini

and edit it so it contains the following extra second line..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /fastdetect

EXTRA LINE BELOW!

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Dual Core" /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlmp2.exe

-don't change your primary line, should work fine :)

Edited by bledd

• 4 weeks later...

Even if it could, x64 kernel has a built-in integrity check to prevent any modifications to the kernel. Vista will have this as well, so you can't just hack the kernel. On the otherhand, there is a switch for boot.ini to load a bootscreen from a BMP file.

On the otherhand, there is a switch for boot.ini to load a bootscreen from a BMP file.

Yes, just use the following code:

/noguiboot /bootlogo

Now put a bmp with 640x480 pixels @ 4 Bit BPP as Boot.bmp in your Windowsfolder.

And now you have your new Bootscreen, without modifieing any file. :thumbup