Major power outage hits New York, other large citi

XPerties

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A major power outage simultaneously struck several large cities in the United States and Canada late Thursday afternoon.

Cities affected include New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto, Ontario; and Ottawa, Ontario. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m.

Much of Midtown Manhattan and Wall Street were shut down, including all area airports and the Long Island Railroad. The airports were operating on back-up power and operations were reported to be normal, officials said.

The New York City Police Department said they were trying to determine what happened. A Con Edison transformer on East 14th Street in Manhattan was afire, CNN learned.

Thousands of people could be seen leaving buildings and walking into the streets. New York subways were reported stopped and people were trapped in the cars.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.out...tage/index.html

was also just watching news.. i dont get what the deals is for people to be walking across the highway though.. lol.. wonder if the stop lights still work..

When 911 happen people ran down the highways. The problem is everyone assumed this was happening again and they did evacuate major buildings.

You do not want to get stuck if they shut down NY like they did on 911 so people are leaving. And no , No power is on.

About power shortage, we had one yesterday in Prague, because too much people were using climatizers (due to high temps) -> our router took a 'shoot' and it's settings memory was cleared. Result : 26 hours offline (time to go back to work and to get some technical ppl from telecom company to get what's the problem and fix it)

So : i hate power outages. (but i can like them depends if i'm using a PC at the moment or not)

About power shortage, we had one yesterday in Prague, because too much people were using climatizers (due to high temps) -> our router took a 'shoot' and it's settings memory was cleared. Result : 26 hours offline (time to go back to work and to get some technical ppl from telecom company to get what's the problem and fix it)

So : i hate power outages. (but i can like them depends if i'm using a PC at the moment or not)

buy power backups, had same problem..even my ethernet card acted weird..