How do I prevent certain software from being installed?

Thinkster

I know this is not an installation question, but rather the preventions of installation.

I have a lot of customers in a business environment that are downloading and installing iTunes. Besides telling them not to do this, is there any way I can restrict the installation of this paticular application to begin with? I wouldn't mind if they downloaded winamp or something but I don't want to see ANY Apple software on these PC's!

Make a new folder called Apple in Program files. Also make one called iTunes.

Reboot in safe mode and log on as admin. Rightclick Apple folder>properties>somewhere there, u can set permissions for it, in this case, make it forbid write access for all users.

Same for iTunes folder. When they try to install it, they will get errors and if they get errors, it willl rollback and won't install.

This wont work because I cant set permissions on a folder unless it is a shared folder. In case you did not know, Im not using NTFS nor will I because of all the problems and pain it is to deal with when it comes to support issues.

This wont work because I cant set permissions on a folder unless it is a shared folder. In case you did not know, Im not using NTFS nor will I because of all the problems and pain it is to deal with when it comes to support issues.

Geez if you think NTFS is a pain to support you are the one with problems. NTFS is definately not a pain to deal with.

Anti-Executable

In today's computing environments, IT professionals face the daunting task of keeping expensive computing resources free from illegal software and other distracting media like chat programs and games. Faronics Anti-Executable provides the solution to these pervasive and escalating problems.

Anti-Executable offers a revolutionary method to keep users on task and highly productive. Using its unique whitelist technology, Anti- Executable standardizes any environment by preventing all unauthorized or unwanted programs from being installed, regardless of whether they are downloaded from the Internet or introduced via any removable media.

Anti-Executable provides total system control, restricting the user's ability to run or install any new executable program. On install, Anti-Executable performs a deep scan of the computer and authorizes every executable on it. From that point on, any other executable program is deemed unauthorized and will not run or install.

Because Anti-Executable prevents any new executable from launching or installing, executable viruses and spyware will be permanently blocked without requiring definition file updates.

Powerful and secure, Anti-Executable is available in two versions for Windows OS, each with different features and capabilities to suit the needs of any multi-user environment...

http://www.faronics.com/html/AntiExec.asp

It's getting closer to what I'm looking for, but ultimately what I would like to do is to restrict just certain installations, not all. I'm hoping there is some way I can get a program that will recognize a specific program's "signature" and allow me to add that to a block list. So say I introduce iTunes, AIM or MSN Messanger to it, it will be able to recognize something in it and not allow it to install. But say I try to install Winamp, I would like that to be able to install without any problems.

Blocking certian signatures is rather hard, especially when you have other browser options to use or when their is different versions of the software. A third party program can control specific and general installations. Usually it costs a good penny. If cost is not a limiting factor, let me know.

Blocking certian signatures is rather hard, especially when you have other browser options to use or when their is different versions of the software. A third party program can control specific and general installations. Usually it costs a good penny. If cost is not a limiting factor, let me know.

I tried the Install Block (Bash Software) and although it worked, it had an icon down by the clock and after a few uses, it crashed and was missing a .dll. I'm thinking there must be something that runs at kernal mode or maybe some kind of group policy to disallow specific installations??

But assuming cost is not a factor, what is this "third party program" called??