All lite software for Win98/SE/ME

Exactly! I want Spider Solitaire (SHELL32.DLL v4.72) AND a fast start menu (EXPLORER.EXE v4.00).

I don't know if it works, but:

Copy SHELL32.DLL 4.72 as SHELL32.SOL to C:\Windows\system.

Use a hex-editor on Spider Solitare EXE and replace all SHELL32.DLL to SHELL32.SOL.

If it wouldn't work (AND ONLY IF IT WOULDN'T), do that:

Copy EXPLORER.EXE from any shell update as EXPLORER.SOL to C:\Windows.

Use a hex-editor on EXPLORER.SOL and replace any SHELL32.DLL to SHELL32.SOL.

Use a hex-editor on SHELL32.SOL and replace any EXPLORER.EXE to EXPLORER.SOL.

It can make your 98/ME 1-2 MB bigger BUT you have the game.

I want to credit Nathan Lineback (or how it was) for the idea.

Edited by asiekierka

• 10 months later...

I don't know if it works, but:

Copy SHELL32.DLL 4.72 as SHELL32.SOL to C:\Windows\system.

Use a hex-editor on Spider Solitare EXE and replace all SHELL32.DLL to SHELL32.SOL.

If it wouldn't work (AND ONLY IF IT WOULDN'T), do that:

Copy EXPLORER.EXE from any shell update as EXPLORER.SOL to C:\Windows.

Use a hex-editor on EXPLORER.SOL and replace any SHELL32.DLL to SHELL32.SOL.

Use a hex-editor on SHELL32.SOL and replace any EXPLORER.EXE to EXPLORER.SOL.

It can make your 98/ME 1-2 MB bigger BUT you have the game.

I want to credit Nathan Lineback (or how it was) for the idea.

I wonder if this is a all around method, for other apps anyone tryed it?

I'm not currently using the most efficient configuration ever (I'm running RP7 and RSidebar, and an Uberskin theme) but as a general rule I keep very open the possibility to use up minimal resources (because I used to have 64mb ram, rather than my current 320) Thus my music player is Foobar2000, my video player is MPC (with a whole bunch of codecs to not have to use Quicktime, and stuff), I have a light theme set in firefox, I use IView as my default image viewer, etc. So i don't know. I'd recommend getting the lightest programs out there if you don't want to change the shell or some such thing.

I do have a bunch of heavier programs, as well, but I only use them when I have to. like Windows Media Player 9, for example. I only use it to burn CDs, because it has an online database, that I don't think is included in any light, independantly developed programs

• 2 months later...
:whistle: Slim=WMP6.4/or WMP7 media player with all WMP9CodecsFiles would be better than WMP9(slimmed down);*DeepBurner(Slim install) works with these if needed! :sneaky: Slimming down hurts effects of original program: :thumbup Try to find a backup HardDrive 500mb(or larger) will do:and put your programs install folders on that drive =saves space and helps with re-installs too!***This works as i have 1.3gb used and 2.7gb free space on c:(Primary 4gb-Harddrive); and @ 1gb used space on another HDD/with 1.2gb total space on this d:(Secondary 1.2gb-Harddrive)*AutoPatcher98 and WindowsMedia Player10 all run from d:drive just fine and re-install is abreeze! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Problemchyld, you said that you need WMP 9 for the DRM. I'm wondering if the DRM components and codecs could be installed without the player. Winamp seems to be able to handle DRM'd files, at least from the drive, on my PC. Are there any other players that would be "lite" enough that can take advantage of these components? A little voice is telling me MDGX's expertise might come in handy.