All lite software for Win98/SE/ME

3.Roxio Software don't use it

delete all this obselete stuff and you save a few bites about 5mb to be exact.

please consider this request guys.

I'm all about lite stuff

however I DO! My brother uses Roxio CD burning plugin from WMP9 but we installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum version then updated it to v5.3.5.10 so that the Roxio CD burning plugin will become the "premium" edition and now we can burn music CDs from WMP9 at higher speeds with the CD-RW drive. So we do not delete Roxio program.

Remove Roxio CD burning plugin if you do not use a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive or you use other CD Recording software (like Nero) to create music CDs.

Edited by erpdude8

I understand where you coming from erpdude8

but it still would be good to have a lite version and if people choose to use

the roxio plug-ins/skins etc... they can always install the full version.

Aint no harm in that.

I'm just sayin everything thats installed on my Win98SE computer i use

if i didn't i wouldn't install it.

I hate having to delete something when it should not have been there in the

1st place.Its extra hassle for me.So i thought a lite pack with avoid this.

Every1 is different and how they want they system setup.Not trying to stress any1

just some suggestions and insight that i thought others who think like me would enjoy.

Every MB is Accounted for on my Machine.

? Is the Roxio software included inWMP9 out dated?

Is there a newer version?If it is a newer version the one thats installed

with WMP9 maybe obselete depending on the individual

I don't think that removing a few files will tremendousely enhance the system performance, unless you have a very old and slow HD and very low memory.

The best way to speed WMP is not to use it.

But i need for certain files like asx,wmv

because even MPC doesn't support these formats even with the right codecs installed

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I just installed bbLean. It is fast, simple, can be configured very easy and uses only 9 MB RAM :thumbup (Explorer.exe uses 13.5 MB). There is no START button. :} Every time I want to open the menu I have to minimize all windows to reach the desktop (the missing desktop). And there are no icons in the menu (maybe that's why it uses less memory than Explorer). Because there are no icons, programs are a little bit harder to find.

Yes, bbLean is very minimalistic as is, and takes some getting use to. Fortunately, it can be customized to make it more user-friendly.

Here are two more articles:

Blackbox Tutorial - Part I: The Shell

Blackbox Tutorial - Part II: The Plugins

Also, go here to see what can be done with bblean (and other blackbox clones), how other people have set it up:

*box News & Screenshot Repository

Anyway, I suspect that the plugins are the key to making bbLean into something you will really like. Of course, it will take some initial time and effort.

Phil

? Is the Roxio software included inWMP9 out dated?

Is there a newer version?If it is a newer version the one thats installed

with WMP9 maybe obselete depending on the individual

kind of outdated. last version of Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator to work under Win98se is version 6. Versions 7 and higher are only Win2000/XP compatible. The one included in WMP 9 is version 5. Even though some users install the "free" edition of Roxio CD burning plugin from WMP9, it cant burn at high speeds. I had to install the "Platinum" edition of the Roxio 5 CD burning software (not free) to convert the normal Roxio CD Burning app from WMP to the premium edition so that it can burn CDs at higher speeds.

• 3 months later...
But i need for certain files like asx,wmv

because even MPC doesn't support these formats even with the right codecs installed

I can play these files on WMP 6.0 just fine, and the program is very fast. :)

The only difference aside from bloat between version 6 and 9 is DRM.

Anyone know how to slim down Shockwave Player 10.1.4.20

without the google stuff also to allow it to install unattended without

accessing the internet after installation

Extract the necessary files from the installer and regsvr32 control.dll. regsvr32 /u to uninstall.

Excuse me IF I may here?

Why discuss what is in any of these install programs, or whether it should or should not be there? How much of a hassle would it be to make a list of those programs or features placed in a selectable list for install by the USER?

So far the only way I know what is to be installed is to run the program and allow it to do it's thingy, thank goodness there have been UN-Installs in MDGx's programs otherwise I would be in rather deep by now.

May I make a suggestion to those of you that are providing this GREAT software for us to use? That is could there be a slight description included with any updates that are posted for download? What group of users that may like to use the features you are providing? I am a very NOVICE user (note USER only) and I downloaded a ~10.9meg file this morning to find it is far too far over my head in what it is for that I cannot install it at this time. Useless download . . MSDAC; SQL; MSD; JET; and many other that seem to be a little bit of an over kill for me as a simple USER.

If I am incorrect then I will stand corrected.

Thank you for reading my post,

• 6 months later...