difficulty installing build 5472

IAintRight

for the past few days, i've been trying to install Vista build 5472 on my computer, and part of the process goes without a problem. the problem comes when it restarts itself to boot into the OS and finish the installation. after restarting and the boot splashscreen (black screen with 3-segmented progress bar and "© 2006 Microsoft Corp"), the screen just goes black and it locks up. occasionally i'll get the mouse pointer, but it still locks up. i was just wondering if my copy of Vista is corrupt, if there's an issue with my system and the way it's reading files/booting the OS, or if it's a matter of drivers. any help or suggestions would be great.

my system

MB: DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb

RAM: 2gig

VIDEO: XFX GeForce 6800GT 256mb

HDD: Western Digital 250gb, partitioned in half to (eventually) dual-boot XP and Vista.

if there's anything i left out that would be helpful in knowing, mention and i'll post it.

i've tried every way to install Vista i can think of: installing XP first then booting and running the install from the DVD, running the install from within XP, installing XP on both part. and running Vista from within XP on the 2nd part and trying the Upgrade install, wiping both part. and boot from the DVD to install Vista on the 1st part., every/anything i can think of. all with the same result.

thanks in advance

ben.

You forgot to mention what CPU u got there :P . Anyway, your system looks good enough to support Vista. As for the problem you are facing: have you tried to install on a different pc to make sure the Vista setup dvd is ok? Maybe some files needed during the boot sequence are corrupted. Or you may try undoing any overclock (if you did any). Also, make sure that you install on a NTFS formatted partition.

oh duh. got so busy lookin for the links and other info, i forgot it. CPU is an AMD64 3700+. as for testing it on another machine, after i posted i remembered i have a friends system that i've been lazy about fixing lately (been using it as kind of a deskside table, actually). since i'm going to do a clean install of XP on it, i figured i'd try my copy of Vista on it and i'll be damned, it installed without a problem at all. kind of upsetting since the specs on it are much less (dunno what the motherboard is, RAM: 512, VIDEO: a 64mb ATI somethin, CPU: 1.2Ghz Athalon XP). guess it's something on my system then. but i'm going to see if i can cheat around it by hooking my HDD in her system, install it, hook it back up in mine and see how it boots. hopefully it works.

It won't boot on your machine. I would remove one RAM module and retry installing Vista. From my experience I know that 99% of unsuccessfull setups are due to faulty / malfunctioning RAM modules.

Edited by nitroshift