Slipstreaming and/vs intergrating

I have been a tech for along time, no matter how much or in detail i explain it, some of my customers do not understand the difference. I have continued to recive emails on the topic.

"What is the difference between Intergrating and Slipstreaming?"

I am planning to add this to my FAQ, but to ensure that they understand i would like input so that it is answered in means that the simple users can undestand and another for PC tech who do not know the difference, althou they should already be aware of it.

Good question!

IMHO integrating involves execution of hotfixes and/or updating files during the OS installation. When you "slipstream" a SP or hotfix no programs nor updates need to be run when setup executes. I don't know if this is entirely true, just my 2 cents ;)

Integrating and slipstreaming are EXACTLY the same.

By definition.

But if we have spare time... *ahem* we can see that "WindowsXP-KBxxxxx-ENU.EXE /Integrate:%XPCD%" doesn't directly overwrite the files. But nLite does.

Other than that exception, they are the same.

Integrating and slipstreaming are EXACTLY the same.

By definition.

But if we have spare time... *ahem* we can see that "WindowsXP-KBxxxxx-ENU.EXE /Integrate:%XPCD%" doesn't directly overwrite the files. But nLite does.

Other than that exception, they are the same.

Is that the difference between using RyanVM_Integrator vs. nLite? (Noob question.) Which method is better?

I was using the Integrator to slipstream SP2 and the hot fixes as well as the WMP10 addon. And then nlLite to reduce and create ISO. Would it better to use nLite to do it all?

They're the same but I'd use RVM integrator for addons AND updatepacks because they're officially supported by ryan. Integrate w/rvm integrator then nlite.

Remember, the update pack adds stuff like extra languages so if u use nlite to integrate and customize and remove stuff etc, in the end, ur source will be bigger cos the new stuff by the update pack wasn't detected. So it is faster but highly not recommended (by me).

Edited by T D

There's been a certain amount of confusion in the use of these two words.

People have used them interchangeably sometimes.

You can argue about the semantics but at the end of the day MS has not always been the most consistent or the most accurate in the use of language.

Both SPs and hotfixes have the /integrate switch and no /slipstream switch. The issue of using /integrate in svcpack has been discussed in another thread.

To add to the confusion, or perhaps it clarifies it, MS uses slipstream when talking about hotfixes and integration when talking about SPs, as in KB290074.