RIS Confusion

I have installed the RIS server portion and have a working riprep imagine, I can install that image on new computers.

My question is how can I update the .sif file on all my profile settings. I have found a few articles online. One states to copy the finished profile through user profiles (control panel/system/advanced) to the all users profile. Well this doesnt work, I get an error that says it cant delete the files. Another article says to copy the profile up to netlogon\default user but I dont think I want to do that either.

I just feel that there has to be a better way to create the .sif file. Basically what I want is to have the proxy settings, desktop icons, product key, etc... already set up.

Also, when I run riprep.exe on a setup box, why does it reboot and reload that image to the same box?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Usually when I want to use my profile for all users, I set up my profile the way I want it, reboot and log on as administrator, copy my profile to the default users profile. Then push my image up. This should retain all of your settings, icons, proxy, and what not on the image. As far as the cd-key that is inserted by your riprep.sif.

After pushing your image to your RIS server, the machine reboots and runs the Sysprep part of the install again. Thats just the way it works. RIS basically pushes a sysprep image to the designated pc.

Thanks for answering, Jarod670.

In the templates folder I only have a riprep.sif, is this what I modify or do I create a new one called ristndrd.sif which is what the instructions I read other places tell me to modify with for the ProductID, I dont have that file anywhere?

Also, at what point to I modify that file? Before the computer reboots or after it reboots and asks more questions?

I copied the profile to the default user but none of my settings followed through but that may have been because I did the .sif before reboot?

So what I did is this: I got my profile the way I wanted it, logged on as administrator and copied the profile to default user, logged back in as the profile user and ran riprep.exe. When all the files were done copying and the computer shut down, I modified the riprep.sif with the productID info and the local admin password. Turned the computer back on and was asked every question until the computer booted with a basic plain profile, no settings.

Where did I go wrong?