PC freezing when any load is put on it

LordFett

whats the new heatsink you tried? like i said 35C is a normal temp, so leave it. has it crashed since u put on the new heatsink?

The new heatsink is actually my old heatsink. It is a cooljag http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1385

I know the temp is good, I was going to put the old one back in to see if WoW does over heat it. Just as something to rule out.

i think its just b/c ur computer cant handle this stuff. weak cpu, ram, vid card, etc. WoW is a pretty demanding game, so is video encoding. have u ever thought of an upgrade? not a serious upgrade but maybe like 500$ or a little more?

I think you need a serious upgrade on the Video Card. With the ATI cards they produce more heat than the Nvidia based cards. I know my HTPC was puking all over the place with one. Replaced it with a Nvidia 64 meg job and everything went smooth, and the temps dropped. I have always liked the ATI stuff but when that happened to my HTPC I started switching over to the Nvidia based stuff. Go with something with say 256 megs of ram and you shouldn't have any problems.

jd

The ATI card is only a temp in the system. I have a nVidia card but the berings in fan went. MegaSpeed is trying to find the right replacement fan for it.

For some reason the days left for activation went from 23 to 0 last night so I am reinstalling now. I will run that once installation has completed.

lordfrett-have you ever thought of upgrading? either the whole system or maybe just the video card? your current video card is pretty useless.

This is my 6 year old daughter's computer. The video card is only a temp. I have a nVidia 5200 128mb but the fan doesn't work. I have a replacement fan but there is a cylinder thing in the way of it.

post-84756-1154099840_thumb.jpg

I will check around on Thermaltake's site and see if they have a fan specifically for this manufacture's card. Even Megaspeed is having a hard time finding a replacement fan for it.

I only use this pc to convert .tivo files to mpegs and to play WoW when my wife wants to play The Sims 2.

My main computer is:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

BIOSTAR V6602GS21 Geforce 6600GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AMPO 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model 3AMD1400-1GB1-R - Retail x3

Running XP SP2 dual booting SUSE 10.0

@ripken, I do play on the other computer, but just about ANYTHING freezes this computer. When my daughter isn't using it I convert a lot of video files. So while I have my main computer for gaming, I use (or try to use) this one for utility.

a 5200 Nvidia pretty standard, quite simular to the 4200, only diference is my 4200 is actually faster then 5000 series nvidia's. You might find that heatsink and fan on ebay.

Megaspeed's card isn't that standard. If you look at the image I uploaded you can see there is something that prevents most fans from attaching to the board.

I've got an aftermarket heatsink and fan that almost fits, I'm thinking of drilling a hole into the heatsink to go around this cylinder so it will fit.

So far since I put the cooljag back on I haven't had any problems. I hopefully have this thing licked.