PC freezing when any load is put on it

LordFett

I am running a homebrew PC on an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo with an AMD 2700+ 2.17GHz CPU. Whenever I play WoW for more then about 10 minutes (sometimes I can make it about 20) or try and convert a .tivo file to a .mpeg or my daughter plays any of her games it locks up. I have to turn the power supply off then restart it.

I am running WinXP (SP1, I don't have SP2 yet because I want to get this problem worked out before I register). The system started with 2x512k RAM, fearing this was the problem I removed one same problem. Removed the other, same thing. Took a 1gb stick from my other PC that works seamlessly same problem. The fan on my Vid card died so I thought it might be this as well. So I took out this card (MegaSpeed nVidia AGP) and replaced it with an older ATI PCI card, same problem.

I've checked my event log and nothing is showing up there.

Could an overheating CPU be causing this? I'm thinking about picking up a new CPU but socket As aren't few and far between these days. Any help would be great.

http://lordfett.com/files/DxDiag.txt

This is a link to my dxdiag. It is a bit old, I can run a newer one tonight if it will help any.

Thanks

overheating is my first guess. download a program such as everest, speedfan, or motherboard monitor. then play WoW for 5-10 min and minimize it to see ur temps. let us know whats going on, cpu temp and chipset temp. video card doenst matter at this point.

overheating is my first guess.
Hmm, I think ASUS shipped a temp monitor with this. I'll drop it on tonight.

Ever notice once you start talking about a problem you start realizing fixes. I've been having this problem for months and until I started typing this overheating never slipped into my head as a problem.

I agree, but to complement that i would go ahead and add a better heatsink and fan such as thermaltake, one that wouls support faster CPU's.

Also upgrade/update all hardware and software drivers/firmware.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

I agree, but to complement that i would go ahead and add a better heatsink and fan such as thermaltake, one that wouls support faster CPU's.

that was going to be my next post after he reported on how bad his temps were :)

I installed ASUS Probe. CPU was idling at 111F. I swapped out for another heatsink/fan I had and that dropped the idle to 95-98 and 30 minutes of WoW only took it to 104.

I hope this has solved the problem.

Their is other related issues to AMD (yuck) and certian model or brand motherboards or other hardware related issues, which is why i am asking for the computer specs

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

CPU: AMD 2700+ 2.17GHz

Vidcard: ATI PCI 64mb

I don't think it is the mobo/cpu combo (unless one of them is burning out) I ran this setup (different vidcard) for 2 years without any problem. After I swapped the fan/heatsink I started thinking about when I started having the problems and it was about the time that I put this new heatsink on. It has a case fan on it with red LEDs (my brother's chop job). I don't think the fan was cooling enough.

I'm going to switch back to the "bad" fan/heatsink tonight just to see what temps look like after 15 minutes of WoW.

What i am looking for is your ram model and brand

I'll check tonight. I doubt it is the RAM unless the board/cpu are really picky I've had 3 different chips from 3 different manufacutres in, all with the same result.