Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) dependencies

mximus

I have just been trying to create a nice nlited XP for my laptop, however i would still like to keep windows firewall. I have had about 10 copies of trying to figure out what i have removed which Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) relys on. I went into the services section in control panel and it said something like "a component ICS relys on is set for deletion or has been deleted". Does anyone know which components are needed for windows firewall. I have made sure all the dependencies listed next to windows firewall such as DHCP, WMI etc are not removed.

any help would be greatly appreciated since i have spent about 2 days trying to find where i went wrong :(

Ive had this happen to me too, when i wanted the firewall. I just reformatted last night. I have firewall so this is what I did:

When you come to the remove components screen. And then this pops up http://www.nliteos.com/guide/pictures/b5.jpg

Make sure you select to hide "Ethernet DHCP functionality" and "Internet Information Services (IIS)"

Those should hide the things necessary for firewall

Just dont go nlite heavy and you should be ok. Remember, those that are in red, only remove if you know what youre doing.

Once youre at the unattended setup. (Im not sure if i remember this correctly but ill try) go to Network and make sure ICS is installed. It is the first one.

Only DHCP compatibility will be enough.

Dependencies are (but better to use compatibility because I could miss few) are Firewall and WMI. DHCP maybe but maybe not if you know how to setup all IPs manually.

I did another install with dhcp removed but kept "Internet Information Services (IIS)" and it worked perfect (have my router set to manually assign ip addresses so dhcp was not missed.

Thanks to all for the help, i really appreciate it :) .

I did another install with dhcp removed but kept "Internet Information Services (IIS)" and it worked perfect (have my router set to manually assign ip addresses so dhcp was not missed.

Thanks to all for the help, i really appreciate it :) .

That sounds backwards. Don't you mean you "checked" Internet Information Services (IIS) so that it would be removed, while you "unchecked" DHCP in order to keep it?

If your router is "manually" assigning IP addresses, you are using DHCP -- your PC is getting its IP address from the router.

IIS is meant for server stuff, I think...