Sun Java and Flash Player Don't Mix

Absolutely correct, no problems with the site. The problem exists at my end. The top module on the left does not open or does the schedule to the right.

If I disable Flash Player 9, the two modules open. There is a conflict somewhere either in my browser, IE6 SP1, or a registry value that is not letting the modules open with Flash Player enabled.

The fact is I many never figure out why this is happening on my computer.

I tried fixing IE6 and also did a complete re-install of IE6, but that doesn't mean it still isn't corrupted.

I have to make sure it does the same thing when using IE 5.5, I almost sure it does, saying that I then have to believe it's in the registry somewhere.

I would just reinstall everything.

Well doing a reinstall of the OS is what I am trying to avoid, but I guess that is my last alternative if I really want to solve the problem. I can live with this and use the Flash Player switch to turn FP on and off, but that is not the intended purpose of the switch.

I am presuming what you mean by "reinstall everything" is reinstall WinMe, because if you read my previous posts you will see that I have installed, uninstalled, and then reinstalled all the components I am talking about here.

I have all clean versions of Flash Player 9, Java J2SE 5.0 Update 7 (which has no bearing on the problem) and MSJVM (again no bearing on the problem).

On another site, someone had told me it could be an ActiveX problem. The modules that want to be installed at the top of the page which are written in Sun's NASApp, cannot load because an ActiveX control is being blocked by Flash Player. If this is true, I need to find someone who is knowledable about ActiveX controls.

It might be easier just to reinstall WinME..

Everytime you add or remove a application it changes the registry, and registry links to DLL's, files, applications, etc. Other then doing a Registery cleanrer, especially if you are using WinME, i would just reinstall the entire operating system, then things such hardware drivers (software that comes with it) then Browsers, plug-ins, media codecs, players then the rest of the software.

• 5 weeks later...
Absolutely correct, no problems with the site. The problem exists at my end. The top module on the left does not open or does the schedule to the right.

hey bearsowner, try visiting the GENS emulator web site with Sun Java & any web browser:

http://gens.consolemul.com/

I went there with Sun Java and the Java system tray icon appeared in the bottom right-hand corner next to the time. that meant that the version of Sun Java I have installed [1.5.0 update 7] worked.

Edited by erpdude8

"hey bearsowner, try visiting the GENS emulator web site with Sun Java & any web browser:

http://gens.consolemul.com/

I went there with Sun Java and the Java system tray icon appeared in the bottom right-hand corner next to the time. that meant that the version of Sun Java I have installed [1.5.0 update 7] worked"

First I went to Java on the Control Panel and changed setting to "Show Console"...clicked on the URL about, NO Java Icon in bottom right corner, at least not at this site. I have seen this Icon appear on other sites that run Java...

I think I am going to uninstall MSJVM Build3810, it may be conflicting with Sun Java even though it is unchecked in the Advanced Tab under Internet Options...

Actually what I am going to do is uninstall both Javas and the re-install Sun's Java only..see what happens, go nothing to lose at this point... still think Flash Player has something to do with the problem..

I just do NOT want to re-install the OS at this point for something so trivial...

First I went to Java on the Control Panel and changed setting to "Show Console"...clicked on the URL about, NO Java Icon in bottom right corner, at least not at this site. I have seen this Icon appear on other sites that run Java...

I think I am going to uninstall MSJVM Build3810, it may be conflicting with Sun Java even though it is unchecked in the Advanced Tab under Internet Options...

Actually what I am going to do is uninstall both Javas and the re-install Sun's Java only..see what happens, go nothing to lose at this point... still think Flash Player has something to do with the problem..

I just do NOT want to re-install the OS at this point for something so trivial...

Open Java control panel, click on Advanced tab, expand the "Miscellaneous" section and check the "Place Java icon in system tray" option (if this option is unchecked, enable it). Click OK, close your web browser and restart it. Now go to the GENS web site and the Java icon should appear.

Edited by erpdude8

Here's what I mean by the picture of Sun Java icon system tray option in Java Control panel applet-

Open Java control panel, click on Advanced tab, expand the "Miscellaneous" section and check the "Place Java icon in system tray" option (if this option is unchecked, enable it). Click OK, close your web browser and restart it. Now go to the GENS web site and the Java icon should appear.

post-37246-1157735392_thumb.jpg

Okay, went to the Java Control Panel, clicked on Miscellaneous the checked "Place Java icon is system tray"...then went to http://gens.consolemul.com/, STILL NO ICON NEXT TO THE TIME OR IN THE SYSTEM TRAY, SAME THING..

Java IS installed on my machine, the latest version. 1.5.07, but also have MSJVM still installed. You got the ICON and a I didn't. That means my computer thinks Sun Java is NOT installed or can't find it or both.

Will un-install both Javas, Sun's and MS3810, and just re-install. I have the Sun Java installation downloaded on my computer, should I get it from a different source or re-download the installation application again? This is like the 3rd time I am doing this because of the recurring problem. Thanks for your help..