900MB install ?

chadwill

Heyas all

Im using the newest version of nLite, tried to make a shrinked install..but when its done installing Windows folder is about 900mb..

ive taken out a lot of drivers/language and other stuff i dont need..i have put nothing in the keep/remove box(i really dont know what to put there)

im using my computer to everyday tasks.. office/movie/games/net

added hotfixes and sp2 aswell..image size is about 450mb

i get no errors during install whatsoever..but the install takes very long time..50min on a Virtual PC with 400mb ram

how do i get a functional "small" install?

Edited by chadwill

Thats isnt that big of a windows dir. Mine is 850 atm with all my software installed and such. I also use a pretty striped down nlited windows XP.

When you make the iso, most of the files are compressed. So as the installation goes on the files are decompressed and moved onto your harddrive.

i've recently formatted (less than a week), i've installed drivers and a few basic apps, my windows dir is now 875mb

nothing to worry about :)

removed loads with nlite + used ryanvm hotfix pack

ok then...

what about the keep/remove box? is there anything of important i should add there? any big/usless files maybe?

and another issue..

does it have any performance impact to make diffrent partitions/hard disks for programfiles/temp/documents..etc etc?

ive heard ppl tell be that winxp can work faster, with diffrent disk/partitions for diffrent folders and such, also makes a reinstall of winxp easier, just by linking the new install to the diffrent folders + replace the new registry with the old one.

any truth in this? if so how big should the windows partition be?

ps. @ bledd, thats just a mean looking avatar. hehe

Edited by chadwill

This go's in my remove box:

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

telnet.exe

agentanm.dll

agentctl.dll

agentdp2.dll

agentdpv.dll

agentmpx.dll

agentpsh.dll

agentsr.dll

agentsvr.exe

agtctl15.tlb

agtintl.dll

mslwvtts.dll

muisetup.exe

rcimlby.exe

ssmypics.scr

powercfg.exe

moricons.dll

iexpress.exe

cliconfg.exe

It works save with the other settings i made with nLite. That does not mean it works with you're settings in nLite.

I use different partitions to. (a lot of them) I putt my xp on a partition

between 10 and 20 gb. I only run the programs from it. Everything els i do ore

download go's to a nother partition ore harddrive. Just to keep my xp partition clean.

Personally i would never replace a new registry with a old 1. I think its a stuppid thing to do.

I only import some nice tweaks and some old program setting into my new register.

O and install you're xp on a sata drive if you can. Run scandisk and defrag to when ever you can. Run crapcleaner and anty spyware to every now and than.

Edited by Ut\Collector

iexpress.exe 148kb Microsoft Wizard packaging tool

ssmypics.scr 46kb Microsoft My Pictures screensaver

muisetup.exe 89kb Microsoft Multilingual User Interface Pack

rcimbly.exe 35kb Microsoft Remote Assistance tool

moricons.dll 211kb Microsoft More Icons dll

cliconfg.exe 20kb SQL Client Config Utility

cliconfg.dll 76kb same

cliconfg.rll 24kb same

mrt.exe 6600kb Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

iexpress.exe

ssmypics.scr

muisetup.exe

rcimbly.exe

moricons.dll

cliconfg.exe

cliconfg.dll

cliconfg.rll

mrt.exe

they look 100% safe for removal to me

the description of dll's (in the statusbar at the bottom ALT+V,B ) tells you what you need to know usually :)

Edited by bledd

aright ill go have a try with this..thanks:)

btw.. is there any files/apps i can remove that would truly speed up my WinXP? or maybe reg tweaks?

sorry for asking all this "stupid" questions, but im fairly new with this "tweaking" term:)

Just a thing for the time needed to install XP : how big is your \i386\SVCPACK folder ?

As for the partitions : I enjoy having a 4GB one with system and apps; games and documents go on another one (I keep my desktop clean and never put anything in My Documents).

It's handy when you reinstall windows plus it defragments in 10 minutes.

Used space is generally between 2GB and 2.5GB. :)

About [Remove Box] and [Keep Box] : you may find that you need one single file that is part of a much bigger component you'd like to remove; tick this component with the needed file in Keep Box.

It's for compatibility purposes.

Now I use Remove Box to get rid of 3 of the 4 oembios.* files (one is critical). They are needed to activate windows but I just reinstall too often. :D

Last I don't think one component will speed up XP (except the biggest ones : >10MB). I'd say it's the whole.

However, removing drivers will speed up the "new peripheral wizard" a lot since windows won't go through thousands of drivers but only a few.

You have to realize that windows loads quite a lot of small things upon start; lots of small things. This needs a lot of read operations and makes your PC starts slower. Moreover, when you have less files in your windows dir, using the search is simply much faster. Last, an nlitened PC won't store things that are unuseful to you in its cache memory.

Also, when my PC is slow on a specific operation, I try to find the reason and once I've found it, I can decide if it is worth keeping the component.

I don't like Windows Media Player : really too slow, entries in all contextual menus which makes the right-click unresponsive, makes browsing among media files slower...

Find what annoys you, check if you need one of its functionnality, check if one of your program needs it, decide whether you remove it or not; don't try to get somebody's else configuration it is usually not a good idea.

I'll just barge in here and say that size doesn't matter, what matters is that you remove what you don't need.

I however remove so much that my cd with hotfixes and drivers is ~140mb (**** big nvidia display driver ;)).

Main thing that may ruin all is IE Core, never remove that unless you know what to expect, all other are expendable...of course use Compatibility options, read descriptions and be careful with red ones.

Maybe if you remove/disable System File Checker (saves copies of Windows system files and Outlook Express etc in some subfolder of your Windows-directory) and System Restore. That's what I did, and I didn't remove a lot of other stuff, so my guess was that this was reducing my Windows so that my Windows-dir is only 585 MB after install.

As for speed, I think Camarade Tux has made some good points. I'd like to add that you could disable all visual effects, that is, no teletubbie-interface but back to Win2K-style, and after installation go to System Properties (winkey+Break) > Advanced > Performance-settings and click Adjust for best performance. Also, go to Display Properties (Start > Run > "control desktop") > Appearance and click Effects. Uncheck the transition effects thing, the Shadows under menus and Show Windows contents while dragging.

A lot of these visual effects are in nLite too, in the Tweaks-section under Visual Effects, but a lot of people, including me, have reported that the tweaks don't work. There's workarounds for that, but that gets way too complicated for now :D

O, by the way, I think there's also a Performance tweaks-part in that same Tweaks-section. Do what you gotta do :)

Edited by Kaonashi

I however remove so much that my cd with hotfixes and drivers is ~140mb (**** big nvidia display driver ;)).

Main thing that may ruin all is IE Core, never remove that unless you know what to expect, all other are expendable...of course use Compatibility options, read descriptions and be careful with red ones.

My ISO with RyanVM Pack 2.1.0 and all drivers is about ~130 MBs. Nvidia Display Driver Service is not needed? That's included with TTS v0.2a isn't it?