multiple routers and forwarding ports

Never tried it, but you would have to forward the ports from the first router to the second, and then the second router to the target machine.

Why do you need two routers?

if you connect all your routers together using the Lan ports (and have nothing on the wan ports) they will all act like different computers on the network. you have to give them different ips, and have only one of them as the DHCP server (if your using one). once you have your big multi-pc lan set up (with only one wan port entrance), you just have to forward the port to the ip, and everything will sort itself out. (or it should, it did for me. if it doesn't work talk to gamehead200, he told me about this)

I have forwarded them normally on both routers but uTorrent still says they aren't

My router is broken, I have rang my provider and they say: you can never more forward your router

But that is no problem.

LimeWire PRO is always used UpNP, you can there always download with your full speed, now is uTorrent since version 1.6 also using UpNP, I can download there also with my full speed.

It is so, as I take a look on http://www.surfopsafe.nl/scans/index.php?catid=1&type=2 I see only two poorts open: 22 (SHH) and 8080 (HTML PROXY), that is also if I download with uTorrent

Edited by arco

why not turn off the firewall on the 2nd router (that sits behind the main WAN port entrance), then you only have to forward from the main entrance to its final destination. Wouldn't that be easier?

Turning off the firewall doesn't so much in the case of a router. since there are many computers sharing a single ip, the router doesn't know what to do with traffic that is sent to a single port. routers are firewalls no matter what becuase of NAT. If he wanted to do a passthrough, he would have to forward traffic on the port he wants through the first router to the 2nd one, and then at the 2nd one do another port forward to the computer that needs it.

Slight misconception.. "Real" routers do not perform nat unless you tell them to. If we are talking the linksys or D-link routers or other of those types or routers then yes they perform nat which also makes them firewalls(and they have multiple ethernet plugs on the back of them which makes them switches too). Sorry, I am a Cisco snob...

what if you put the second router on the DMZ of the first router. That would be the easiest way around it, however... ANY TIME you double NAT something it requires much additional configuration, most of which are not configurable with the linksys/dlink/netgear type routers.

if you connect all your routers together using the Lan ports (and have nothing on the wan ports) they will all act like different computers on the network. you have to give them different ips, and have only one of them as the DHCP server (if your using one). once you have your big multi-pc lan set up (with only one wan port entrance), you just have to forward the port to the ip, and everything will sort itself out. (or it should, it did for me. if it doesn't work talk to gamehead200, he told me about this)

You need to use crossover cables in order to connect multiple hubs/routers/whatever to a single router.

• 3 weeks later...