98 to SE: Exercise in Futility?

I got a used PC for free, a Compaq Deskpro2000... yeah I know, but hey, free computer. It's suprisingly fast for a Pent166 with 98 on it!

OK so I try and update 98 to SE and it basically says "sorry, you've got 98 already installed and you need the upgrade version" BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Whatever, I have a full OEM install disc, just not a Compaq one, and it's bitching about upgrade version? ARRRRRGH.

So me, being an "under the hood" type-person, I go and copy all the SE .cab files to it's appropriate directory, tell 98 in the registry where too look for the cab's and go about my merry way of manually updating things, so to speak. Kernel32, user.exe, explorer, gdi, alot of lower level stuff, I have updated with no problem to the SE versions. I have also installed a security update CD from 02/2004.

I've no problems at all thus far, except for the fact I can't get USB to work. It's having a problem with installing the Root Hub. I'm getting "The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (code 2). I've followed all of the suggestions from over at usbman.com, and installed the VIA 4-in-1's and USB filter driver, and still nothing...

It's a VIA 3038 Controller and the main chipset is a VIA VP2, if that helps...

I guess I have two real questions, even though most everything works just fine with alot of the SE files, am I just setting myself up for future problems? And will the SE service pack work or will I just have to wipe the drive and put SE on that way?

Edited by 303

I got a used PC for free, a Compaq Deskpro2000... yeah I know, but hey, free computer. It's suprisingly fast for a Pent166 with 98 on it!

OK so I try and update 98 to SE and it basically says "sorry, you've got 98 already installed and you need the upgrade version" BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Whatever, I have a full OEM install disc, just not a Compaq one, and it's bitching about upgrade version? ARRRRRGH.

So me, being an "under the hood" type-person, I go and copy all the SE .cab files to it's appropriate directory, tell 98 in the registry where too look for the cab's and go about my merry way of manually updating things, so to speak. Kernel32, user.exe, explorer, gdi, alot of lower level stuff, I have updated with no problem to the SE versions. I have also installed a security update CD from 02/2004.

I've no problems at all thus far, except for the fact I can't get USB to work. It's having a problem with installing the Root Hub. I'm getting "The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (code 2). I've followed all of the suggestions from over at usbman.com, and installed the VIA 4-in-1's and USB filter driver, and still nothing...

It's a VIA 3038 Controller and the main chipset is a VIA VP2, if that helps...

I guess I have two real questions, even though most everything works just fine with alot of the SE files, am I just setting myself up for future problems? And will the SE service pack work or will I just have to wipe the drive and put SE on that way?

The driver issue you can often find out whats wrong by checking the driver files installed. It should show a list of installed drivers for it. Click each one to ensure there is version info avail for it. If it says no info available or file not found, you'll need to copy that file to the windows\system directory.

I typically have to use this fix for linksys wireless adaptors as it's often got na missing required file. Often ntkrn.vxd i believe that ends up in the wrong directory. Just doublecheck the locations for each file.

The upgrade message can be circumvented by renaming the windows directory and\or deleting it all together. Just make sure youmove stuff such as your desktop folder and the like out of it or copy the files to the root. However, you can also try using the command switch /nr to skip the registry check on setup.

I have a better idea. Boot into DOS mode change to Windows directory and just rename the WIN.COM file.

Then run Win98 SE setup. That will also bypass the "upgrade error" message but you MUST change the destination folder from C:\WINDOWS.000\ folder to C:\WINDOWS folder.

the NTKERN.VXD file should be placed in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\ folder. That's where mine is.

check to see in BIOS setup in your Compaq PC if USB is enabled. If you still cant get USB to work, wipe out your HD (meaning reformat your HD) and do a CLEAN install of Win98 SE.

Win98se works best when doing a clean install.

Got it to work with the /nr switch... thanks for the help guys

The USB problem was solved after the reinstall; Appeared to be a .dll and another file I overlooked whilst doing the manual update...

I figured the install woulda never went over after the experience of trying to reinstall OEM SE on a Gateway box that I unlocked the BIOS on. **** checksums

Now it's off to install the power pack and mess with some nux distros mwooo hahahhaaa

Edited by 303

I've always used "c:\windows\command\deltree /y c:\windows" from DOS, then did a reinstall. Only wiped drive to get rid of a Nasty. :)

great idea, randiroo76073, though I took it a step further by not only doing a DELTREE /Y command on the WINDOWS folder in DOS but I also deleted the \PROGRAM FILES\ or \PROGRA~1\ folder. I like to have a clean set of files in the \PROGRAM FILES\ folder and in the \WINDOWS\ folder.

to speed up deletion of files in DOS, run SMARTDRV first, then do the DELTREE command and then run Win98se setup.

HOOOLY crap the power pack wouldn't even install

It got to 60% after like 10 mins then thrashed the HDD for like another 15 before I said enough is enough

Guess I'm gonna need more than 32MB of RAM, eh?

Well until then I'll just have to download and install each pack individually

Thanks for everything guys, it's good to have fun stuff to do to 98 :D

I'm actually very surprised of what you can do, in terms of all the stuff you can overwrite and it still runs... and looks better afterwards ;)

Edited by 303

great idea, randiroo76073, though I took it a step further by not only doing a DELTREE /Y command on the WINDOWS folder in DOS but I also deleted the \PROGRAM FILES\ or \PROGRA~1\ folder. I like to have a clean set of files in the \PROGRAM FILES\ folder and in the \WINDOWS\ folder.

to speed up deletion of files in DOS, run SMARTDRV first, then do the DELTREE command and then run Win98se setup.

I like that erpdude8, makes it more complete :D , I keep all my prgms on seperate partition, but yours will clean better for C:/ and still not loose any data :thumbup Now why didn't I think of that LOL!

Edited by randiroo76073

• 1 month later...

It got to 60% after like 10 mins then thrashed the HDD for like another 15 before I said enough is enough

I'm actually very surprised of what you can do, in terms of all the stuff you can overwrite and it still runs... and looks better afterwards ;)

UDMA may not be enabled.

UDMA may not be enabled.

I think after installing Win98 SE, it does not enable the DMA setting for hard drives and CD/DVD drives. that's especially true when performing a CLEAN install of Win98 SE.

WAHAHA! NO KIDDING 303! yeah you definitely need to put more RAM into your Compaq PC. 32megs of RAM is now a LOUSY config for Win98, especially when there are large apps installed under Win98. Order some RAM chips online for the Compaq PC and up your RAM to 64MB or more.

I just ordered a 64Mb RAM module online for my aunt's laptop PC which has 32 MB of RAM and once I get the module, it'll have a total of 96Mb of RAM and Win98 will run more faster and more efficiently.

Edited by erpdude8